Anki Overdrive is a toy racetrack with the feel of a video game

Gabe Carey

anki overdrive

Anki Overdrive is a vehicular combat game with one slight distinction from more familiar titles like Twisted Metal or Jak X: Combat Racing. Anki Overdrive is not a video game. Integrating concepts from popular science-fiction racing games, Anki Overdrive takes those ideas and turns them on their heads with a unique focus on an actual modular racetrack and electric toy cars.

Anki, the robotics company which created Anki Overdrive, announced earlier today that the futuristic racing set will make its way to store shelves in the US, UK, and Germany on September 20th, according to Engadget. With a modular design, as opposed to the mat track that was used in the previous generation set simply titled Anki Drive, Anki Overdrive will allow for eight possible unique track configurations in the $150 starter set alone.

Also comparable to a video game, Anki Overdrive will offer expansion kits in the form of both track pieces and cars that will set customers back between $10 and $30. Anki announced six new cars today, complete with unique characteristics and functionality.

The game itself is only operational by means of a smartphone, meaning either an iOS or Android device is required to fully enjoy the game. It should be noted, however, that Anki Overdrive seems to be worth the expensive barrier of entry for fans of slot car racing. With detailed upgradeable weapons, advanced artificial intelligence that allows competing cars to adapt to player dexterity, and four different game modes, the notion alone is an impressive feat.

Permalink to story.

This probably needs to be banned. It teaches children that road rage and violence are proper solutions to traffic.

/ssssssss

anki overdrive

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/61219-anki-overdrive-toy-racetrack-feel-video-game.html"]Read more[/newwindow]
Sadly all I see is HTML code, I don't see an article to read.[/QUOTE]

Did you type the HTML into your response as well? I see only HTML when I jump to forum mode (the standard page is fine), but your response has naked HTML all over it as well. Everything between the PARSEHTML tags.

Did you type the HTML into your response as well? I see only HTML when I jump to forum mode (the standard page is fine), but your response has naked HTML all over it as well. Everything between the PARSEHTML tags.
That was copy and paste from what I actually see other than some deletion to shorten the quote. The only thing I typed was my response.

The concept behind it looks awesome, sad that the video shows nothing but CGI instead of the concept on a real track.

The concept behind it looks awesome, sad that the video shows nothing but CGI instead of the concept on a real track.
Oh, I agree. The trailer is rad, but this isn't a video game. I NEED to see how this actually works before I'd ever consider buying it.

Back