Annoying icon in the taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys

NEED HELP

i have got this very very annoying flashing icon in my system tray (taskbar). it looks like a question mark in white foreground and light blue background, which frequently flashes to another little question mark in red color with a hard disk symbol. when i click on it, it takes me to a website: http://www.anti-vermins.com/?aff=334

Pleassseeee help me get rid of this.

It looks like you have been dropped an unexpected package from a website. Its just malware and will be removed with Spybot S+D. Its a free scanner (highly recomended by Techspot) and removed little addons and adverts.

You can download it from: HERE

While Spybot S&D is a good idea and can't hurt, if you continue to have problems after that please download HiJackThis. Spybot S&D doesn't catch everything, and there are a few things it can't remove either. HiJackThis is a program used to look at your configuration and remove the entries that are causing the problems.

When you download HijackThis, please "Run and Save a Log." Then post the text from that log here- it'll help us see what you've got on your system.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have moved your thread to the correct forum.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above you decide you want to clean your system, do the following.

Go HERE and follow the instructions for removing Antivermins.

Then, go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of vikas_coolcool only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Howard, don't you think your rushing into a reformat unnecessarily?
Your thread doesn't really stress the fact that it is a "last resort" especially when reformat can ruin a computers warranty.

It`s important that people realise that if they use their computer for online banking/credit card transactions/sensitive information, then simply cleaning the computer is no guarantee that it`s safe to carry on using the computer for that purpose.

There`s no point in letting people believe that cleaning a computer will make everything safe, when it might not.

If I used my computer for any of the above sensitive info and got infected with any trojans etc, I would reformat and take the appropriate steps to inform my bank, credit card company ASAP.

Online fraud is big bussiness these days, with an army of scumbags just waiting to rip off some poor bugger.

All the info is in the link for people to make their own minds up as to what they want to do.

I hate having to tell someone to reformat, but sometimes it`s the only way to be sure their system is totally clean and their not in any danger of being ripped off.

Obviously, if the computer is only being used for gaming etc, then that`s a different matter.

I hope this explains the thinking behind that thread and why I`m pointing out to people the risks involved.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of vikas_coolcool only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Okay I see what you mean Howard and i suppose in this case your recommendation of reformatting is just.

Cheers for the advice.
We all learnt something new here.

No problem mate.

I only found that info myself a couple of weeks ago. Having read all the info, I decided it was best to make a thread, so people would be able to read the info and make some kind of informed choice.

I then started thinking how many computers I`d tried to help people clean, when in reality, they might have been better off and a whole lot safer reformatting. Unfortunately, there`s not a lot I can do about that now. :(

I hate the malware writers with a vengeance and I believe not enough is being done by the authorities in various countries to try and tackle this ever growing problem.

Regards Howard :)

The "Security And The Web" Forum is filled with people explaining how many problems they have had and even after helping them, they have lost hours of time and have had great inconvenience. Personally, I hate them with a passion because I went through a period of months of infections that I could not get rid of without Techspot. *Cheers Techspot!* These writers, in my books, could even be regarded as criminal.

There may be a day that software comes out that makes a computer invincible to infection (in a galaxy far far away) but untill then it's people like you at Techspot who give up their free time to help people they have never met, with their PC problems.

...The joy of Techspot. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back