Annoying pauses in all activety when a couple programs running

Status
Not open for further replies.

treeski

Hey all, I'm not sure if this thread belongs here or in the hardware section or in the other software section or what, because I don't know where my problem is coming from.

The problem: Every time I load a decently sized program (i.e. Zune, Counter-strike, photoshop...), or when I have too many little programs running, my computer get's really choppy. All of my programs are smooth for 3 seconds, then there's a pause, then smooth, then pause, etc. etc. It generally lasts a few minutes, then smooths out.

Like I said above, I'm not really sure what the problem was. My comp is about 3 years old, so maybe it's just a hardware issue. When this problem happens, my CPU spikes to 100% and generally stays between that and 90%. My memory NEVER gets to its peak amount. Also, there have been occasions when this problem happens but my CPU stays around 50%.

Any advice on what I can do here would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks much :)

Well one thing that really stood out for me in your system specs is the 1 gig of RAM. I would certainly add another gig. To see your options Crucial.com has a great utility on their website that will scan your system and tell you your memory options. It is quite safe to do so.

Also, those programs can be both cpu and gpu intensive which will tax your system resources especially since both cpu and video graphics are older hardware. Perhaps there are some programs that you don't need that can be disabled and thus freeing up some resource.

Just my 2 cents worth...

It could possibly be Antivirus or AntiMaleware software that is scanning these programs on start (though they really shouldn't) or causing some other similar application to run.

Aside from general cleanup such as cleaning out old temp files, run a CHKDSK, run a good anti Malware scanner, and a disk defrag. If none of those help then you may want to consider reinstalling Windows from scratch if you have the CD and the KEY for it. A big task but the speed increase is very noticeable. Over time there are just too many things that happen on a computer that can not be easily cleaned up and they add to the overall slow down.

I'd try cleaning up and degrag though and see what that gets you. Also make sure in Device Manager that you have no Yellow or Red indicators.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have check out some of that stuff already, but I'll look into the rest tonight.

Also, question about the ram upgrade suggestion. I know 1gig is relatively low this day in age, but my ram usage never tops out from what I have noticed. Should I still consider upgrading this?

Thanks again, more suggestions would be awesome!

I've been trying some of the methods suggested to get my comp working more smoothly and so far I haven't found anything to really help, including adding a gig of memory. I ran a CHKDSK and it had some errors and couldn't continue, and I have no idea what they mean:

"Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\_____>chkdsk
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 14152.
Deleting an index entry from index $O of file 14152.
Missing object id index entry or duplicate object id detected
for file record segment 17222.
Deleting index entry BACKUP.RDB in index $I30 of file 43484.
Index verification completed.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\Documents and Settings\_____>"

Any suggestions?

"CheckDisk"

Hi :

When it comes to using "CheckDisk", I use the Info at
www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html . I usually use the "Command Line"
Version and it sounds in your situation after clicking "Run", then typing "cmd",
then clicking "ok", that you should type "chkdsk c: /f /r" . It is important that blank
spaces be placed after the "k", AND after the ":", and after the "f" . The "process"
should take at least an hr and your screen will go "blank" .

Thanks SpiritWind. I did what you suggested, but couldn't get the scan to run because the drive was in use or something, so I scheduled it to run on next boot. That happened last night so I assume everything went smoothly as the comp was at the welcome screen this morning.

Unfortunately I still have that annoying problem. Anyone have any other suggestions before I force myself into a re-install of windows?

Under your Administrative Tools section start the Event Viewer and look in the APPLICATIONS section and look for an entry that says WINLOGON

That will contain the information about what the CHKDSK operation found and fixed.

Now I would download CCleaner and delete your Temporary files and then run a Disk Defrag. Then if the same issue is happening you might look at updating your Video drivers.

If you're still having the issue then I'd suggest running Malwarebytes and SUPERAntispyware scanners to check for and remove any Malware.

http://www.malwarebytes.org
http://www.superantispyware.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back