annoying problem with desktop background, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
the story so far;

earlier this morning boom! my AVG told me i had a virus, so i fixed that problem and scanned my computer quickly to remove another 3 files that were apparently corrupt, i also ran Ad-aware to check for any bothersome adware, and there were about 30 but i dont think that was a problem but deleted them either way.

running AVG and ad-aware a second time after restarting my computer, everything was clean HOWEVER a problem persisted, my desktop background was all blue, just a plain blue background, the icons still show, however the background is simply blue. i dont know how to restore my old desktop background, ive tried going to desktop properties however the window with selectable backgrounds is unclickable and i cant change the background of my desktop. i decided to reboot once more to see if that would possibly help, and it was then that i noticed something strange, as programs were closing and windows was shutting down, the blue desktop background vanished and my previous background appeared as if it was normal for a second or 2, and then my computer continued to shut down.

now, ive tried going to the customize desktop option and going to the web tab like some sites suggest, however there is nothing for me to unclick so it seems its not a website background, ive also tried turning off my internet connection for a while to see if there would be any effect at all, and nothing has worked.

ive also tried simply opening an image file and right clicking and setting "set as desktop background" however that didnt work either.

so yeh, any help would be much appreciated guys, thanks in advance

its seems that it is quite possible that all the bugs may not have been removed, and may be hijacking your desktop.
before going any farther go here and follow the instructons. i think it is sometimes far better to eliminate the possibilty of viuses first.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree with tomrca, we need to eliminate the possiblity of an infection.

Once you have completed the instructions that tomrca gave you, post fresh HJT and AVG Anti-spyware logs as attachments into this thread.

If it turns out you do have an infection, I will move this thread to the appropriate forum.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

thanks for the replies, i went to the link and tried most of the methods there, however the hijackthis site and the bleepingcomputer site were not working so i couldnt try those, fresh links would be much appreciated, thanks for your time guys

yep, ive tried those links, whenever i press them it always comes up with 'cannot find server' .. 'the page can not be displayed' etc

If all else fails, i've kindly uploaded it to my site..

www15.brinkster.com/mrsim/Temp/HijackThis1991.zip

Copy and paste the above address in your download manager or browser's address bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back