Annoying Proxy virus

By reezy
May 19, 2009
  1. So, I too have the "proxy virus" on my laptop. Every time I load Firefox I get and error page that says, "proxy server refused connection". I've used Malwarebytes, spybot, SUPERantispyware, and Avira...but I still cannot shake this thing. I even found and deleted the rootkit garbage.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot,

2. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Please follow the Virus and Malware Removal here:

When you have finished, attach the 3 logs.

Please include an Avira scan. All the logs will be reviewed when you have finished.
  3. reezy

reezy TS Rookie Topic Starter

thanks bob, i'll have those logs uploaded by tomorrow morning sometime. thank you for the help!
  4. reezy

reezy TS Rookie Topic Starter

Alright, here goes. I ran the 4 programs again I'll attach the logs for ya.
  5. Bobbye

Bobbye Helper on the Fringe Posts: 16,335   +36

Your logs are clean.

See this:

Follow any links that are specific to you such as Connection settings

Additional information about Preferences here:

'Proxy Virus' is a misnomer. It's a setting problem.

I notice you have a few Tracking Cookies. They can be removed. Then they can be prevented:
    Reset Cookies:

For Internet Explorer: Internet Options (through Tools or Control Panel) Privacy tab> Advanced button> CHECK 'override automatic Cookie handling'> CHECK 'accept first party Cookies'> CHECK 'Block third party Cookies'> CHECK 'allow per session Cookies'> Apply> OK.

For Firefox: Tools> Options> Privacy> Cookies> CHECK ‘accept Cookies from Sites’> UNCHECK 'accept third party Cookies'.

Additionally for Firefox, if you do not have these already:
    AdBlock Plus:
    Easy List:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.