Annoying virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, this is an annoying little bug I seemed to have picked up. Every three minutes or so it redirects my browser to some random site where it tries to sell me anti-virus software. Then every few seconds a balloon pops up and tells me that I have a virus and to "click here for more information" - but I know it's bogus because A) it says my computer is slowed down when it's not, and B) the ***** virus makers don't know how to spell "balloon." It also resets my home page every few minutes. It started by reseting it to another anti-virus page, but now it's setting it to MSN for some strange reason.

I did all of the preliminary stuff listed except for Ad-aware personal se - the virus redirected my browser everytime 'adaware' was in the address bar.

Here are my logs:

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Congratulations on being one of the few members that can actually follow instructions properly. It makes it so much easier for me to help you.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Delete all files in AVG Antispyware quarantine.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O2 - BHO: Trixie.Bho - {B0744341-96E0-4341-9ED2-8BC36CE0CCD0} - mscoree.dll (file missing)

O3 - Toolbar: Protection Bar - {84938242-5C5B-4A55-B6B9-A1507543B418} - C:\Program Files\Video ActiveX Object\iesplugin.dll (file missing)

O21 - SSODL: eitheror - {2016a466-91a2-43c6-97d8-2fd380f065ef} - (no file)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know if you`re still having problems.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of Expalphalog only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thank you for the lightning quick response, Howard! Whoever recommended this site to me deserves a hug.

I followed your instructions, and am cautiously optimistic - everything seems to be running fine now.

New log file attached.

Your HJT log is now clean.

Just for your information, it was this entry in your HJT log that was the baddie.

O21 - SSODL: eitheror - {2016a466-91a2-43c6-97d8-2fd380f065ef} - (no file)

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of Expalphalog only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back