Another 7600GT problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Necrosjef

Ok so i bought another nvidia 7600GT this time manufactured by XpertVision instead of nvidias own brand of card.

Plugged it in and everything seemed to be working fine, so i started running 3dmark to make sure everything was normal.

I got about halfway through 3dmark when the computer switched itself off, so i try putting it back on and it goes on but im not getting a signal from the graphics card. So i put everything off at the wall socket and turned it on again and everything worked fine.

So a couple of days go by and everything seems normal pc was working however not using any graphics intensive programs only stuff like internet explorer and msn etc.

Now today i played some Medi TW 2 and it worked fine for about 15 minutes then the same crash happened again. I tried playing it again and it lasted for about an hr this time before it crashed.

Anyone got any ideas as to why this is?

Thanks

Necrosjef

Set the performance settings to lowest they can go, they were pretty much lowest anyway just moved down 10mhz to 550mhz and 690mhz for core and memory clock settings respectively.

Just ran speedfan to double check my PSU was working ok and it seems that it is.

Ran 3DMark again but the pc crashed about the same point as it did before.

Update : Installed the latest nvidia drivers and all windows updates and re-ran 3dmark and the pc crashed after about 20 seconds.

Had a really good look at my case and cleaned all fans etc and ran speedfan and took a log while running 3dmark and the temperature of the card remained a steady 40 celcius throughout.

Not much more i can think of to try hardware wise. Seems to have all the symptoms of a hardware problem but isn't responding to any of the solutions.

Im thinking this because when i run 3dmark it crashes at the exact same frame everytime on game 4 "mother nature" when i run games the crash isn't so predictable could be 5 minutes could be 2 hours but i have a feeling that the card is loading something that it doesn't like and ends up just crashing the whole system.

Anyone got experience with common software related issues?

Another thing i was thinking of was that my PSU might be getting overloaded, this is unlikely however as i had a nvidia 7600GT before i got my xpertvision one and it never had the problem.

Anyhow the system iam running is

Athlon 3800+ X2 (2.0Ghz Not Overclocked)
2048 Corsair Value Select RAM (Not Overclocked)
XpertVision 7600GT 256MB 560Mhz, 700Mhz (Not Overclocked)

The PSU iam using is an ATX 400W PSU, on speedfan everything checks out though is there something i could be overlooking PSU wise?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Necrosjef.

Tell us the brand of the PSU and the A on the 12V rail. If you don't know how to find this information, take a picture of the sticker on your PSU and post it here.

Yea, im guessing power or cooling. Whats the cpu temperature? Can amd's switch off due to overheating? If not, definately a psu issue...

ATX is the form-factor of the PSU, not name, so I'm guessing it's a generic unit (since "ATX" stands out more than the noname brand...). Only 16A on the +12V rail and just 400Watts is hardly decent for a dual core. I would recommend a PSU replacement regardless of whether or not it is causing the problem at the moment (because it might cause the problem later).

AMD's do switch off if overheated (if they don't immediately fry..), whereas Intels automatically underclock when heated excessively.

And just to clarify, does the PC restart or shut down?

Use speedfan again and find your CPU temperature, post it.

And out of curiosity, what version of 3dmark are you using?

690Mhz core, the stock is 560 that was a smart move there pal.....

Sorrry I misread. I would reseat the HSF of the video card, DO NOT REPLACE THE THERMAL GREASE/PAD if you do, you cannot RMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back