TechSpot

Another ATI locking up problem

By richman10302
Dec 30, 2005
  1. Hello all i am having a very big ATI radeon 9550 256 AGP 8x video card problem

no matter what drivers i use,what game i play or even sometimes just looking around on my computer the video card locks up and i get a VPU recover error.

i am updating from my nvidia mx 420 64 mb card which i am using right now i took the radeon out untill i find out what the problem is.

i got the card for christmas along with a 200 gb hd that i just installed a fresh version of windows xp home ediiton on,so it was brand new all in all

here are my specs:

AMD 64 2800+ processor
    768 DDR333 ram
    PSU:420watts
    mobo:Giga-byte GA-K8VM800M

I dont think overheating is an issue here i ran 3D benchmarks and the card is cool to the touch plus i have 4 80mm fans in their and my current nvidia card doesnt even have a heatstink/fan..it's a 4 year old clunker lol

i also read/got advice that maybe it was the AGP fastwrite.so i disabled that..still locked i even tried to lower my AGP setting to 4x still no luck

please help i am at the end of my rope

p.s i did not overclock the video card

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.