Another "Building new computer" thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hiya...

Been quite a while since I built my last PC, but the time has come! I'm a little rusty and was hoping some of you would be generous enough to comment and make suggestions on the build I am considering.

It;s definetly a gaming computer, I play basicallly every type of game from Call of Duty to Civilization etc so I want it to be able to handle most challenges out there...
I'd prefer cost to stay in the area of 1500, though savings are always nice if there is a cheaper way to do things without compromising...conversely I will spend more it it will improve performance or stability etc.

Here we go:

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model SH-S222A

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

XFX HD-585A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V version 2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

That`s all for now, toying with the idea of a small SSD but that will have to come later.

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

I might have different preferences with respect to some of the brands but I really can't say any choices are bad. Hard drive is solid. I've used that same 640GB Caviar Black in my last three builds. The only thing I might change is the IDE optical drive for a SATA optical drive but then that's just a personal preference.

Don't forget to include an operating system which I presume would be a version of Windows 7 64 bit.

I've built systems with both the ASRock X58 Extreme and Deluxe- very stable, well laid out, nice tabbed BIOS. Never oc'ed them.
Would second mailpup's view on the IDE burner -those fat ribbon/chunky rounded cables don't do anything for looks or airflow-probably not a dealbreaker if you're using a stock Intel cooler.
Not sold on the Antec chassis -compact but the graphics card could be a tight fit. At least the PSU is modular so cable management shouldn't be a problem

Nice picks. They should serve you very well. However, I'd personally go with the Corsair 750TX PSU.

Hey, thanks for the input...

I did some more research on PSUs and did in fact change my choice. I`m also looking at some SATA DVD burners, any recommends?

Oh, and yes I am going to be using win7 x64

Samsung SH-S223F is a good all rounder. The Sony NEC (branded Optiarc ) AD-72xx and AD-75xx probably a little better in writing speed/accuracy, while the Lite On burners (based on the LG Philips) are very good rippers. Lite On and Optiarc feature error reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back