Another case fan question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I bought me a new dell. 3.2p4, 1gig ddr2 ram, ect...
Its a 4700 model and I discoved that they no longer come with agp ports.
So my 9800 pro would not work with it. So I made a visit to Bestbuy and ordered a x800xl which I put in the other day. Bty iam in school studying architecture and we run autocad which can get pretty reqirement heavy. My case gets incrdibly hot and the air coming out the little side holes and front of case is also hot. It may not be hot enough to hurt anything, but its too hot for me to be comfortable with. With that said There are only 2 fans in the case, the ps fan and the case fan which also cools the processer via heat pipes and vents. The x800xl has its on fan. here's some pics from Dell's site
1.bmp

untitled2.bmp

They say the best set up is one fan pulling air from front of case and 2 pushing out the back but I dont have that option. If I mount (tape) a 80mm fan pushing air out the venting holes on the side case panel would that help any or is there something else I can do to help with with out heavily moddifing the case. I know my options are limited.

Thanks for the help and sorry for long post

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If it were me i`d just go ahead and cut an 80mm hole in the side panel and attatch a fan. you could even cut two holes if you wanted and have two extra fans.

If you don`t have the tools to do this yourself I don`t think it would be very expensive to have it done at a garage of sheetmetal outlet.

This should indeed help to cool things down a little.

However if you do this I`m pretty sure that your warranty will be void.

Regards Howard :grinthumb

if you're simply an end user, putting in that x800 yourself already voided the warranty. dell pcs usually ship with marginally adequate power supplies, have you got enough juice to power that x800?

Heck - I have an older gateway that ran hot. I got an old muffin fan and twist-tied it so it would exhaust hot out out a vent hole. Cheap, crude, and effective. It was powered off the main board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back