Another Emachine cpu upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,
This is my first post. I have read thru the sticky emachines topic above. THanks for the heads up. I was never aware. Look at my specs that I have listed and you will see I own an Emachines W2646. I've had this since the day my ex-wife bought it over 4 yrs ago. The only thing that I have changed was the vid card, gvae ti 2gigs of ram, and a 250g HDD over a span of 3yrs.

Now that I am starting to look at new PSU's due to the thread above, and the fact that the current psu is very old, I am looking at upgrading the spu as well. I have seen multiple threads stating that you can or can't upgrade the cpu. So, I would like to know, is there a CPU that I can upgrade to from the current stock cpu in the W2646? I just want to upgrade to something a little more stronger. Not crazy high, just a smaller boost. IF this is not possible, then please let me know what else I can do to further extend the life of my ancient W2646 as it has held on with me thru so many bad momments of my unexperienced comp repair skills.

you need to find out what socket your motherboard has, I can't find much online as far as specs, it just says 2.6 ghz processor. You can probably call emachine and ask them what motherboard you have or what socket is on the mobo

Well, after a while, I found out what it is. I have an Emachines W2646 with a Celeron 2.6Ghz 478/128. I want to upgrade both the CPU and the power supply. What is a great cpu to get for such an old modle? Or better yet, what will work. I know that emachines are known for errors due to weak power, so I am upgradoing that as well.

Rather than make us search around for 20 minutes or more, it'd help a lot if you could use something such as CPU-Z to find out the exact motherboard that is in your system as Blind Dragon requested.

When you've opened the program look under the "Mainboard" tab and all of the information will be there. Just screenshot and attach it to your next post.

Fredop,
just gut the system... replace the motherboard with a modern model, get DDR2 memory and a current CPU, and replace the power supply with a good 450 watt... The only thing left eMachines will be the case

Blind Dragon... my mobo is a IMPERIAL GV (845GV) TG313757. But I have the cpu and power supply in mine. Its a P4. Found it on new egg. Tmagic650, I would, but money has been such an issue. That and I am just going to build my own. I've saved up a small amount so far. I just need to keep this one going for a bit longer. I have a Mid-size tower already purchased a while back. Just need the cash to get the rest of the gear. I do Flight sim, allot online. There is a program that can link up two computers, and run double the amount of backround programs needed to add to the excitement of flying. As long as the Emachines can run longer with this upgrade. I would rather dump it all into my new baby, and keep this one going till it craps out. It should give me a few more years with some extra TLC.

"Seems kinda complicated just to squeeze the last bits out of an old computer"...
Especially from a 4 year old eMachines! It will either work or it won't.

I'm working on a 9 year old Gateway, and a 12 year old Micron computer today. Adding 256MB of SDRAM and a 60GB hard drive to each... and going from Windows 98 to XP Pro. So far, so good. They are both Intel based computers

Well. It has run good so far. It's just the programs, and updates that come out are starting to show that I need to upgrade it. I know it won't make it last that long. I am just adding one one or two more years, with the proper care. Once I upgrade, I won't be treatig it like something new. I will keep all the setting the same, no monster overclocking, and such.
I might as well say I'm polishing a turd. I know, but what ever makes me happy, knowing the possible outcome. That is why I want to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back