Another HD not booting proper

nichos

I am having a bad run of failing to boot HDs.

After trying to repair the spare Sata W.Digital HD it will again NOT Boot on its own, but boots with a boot floppy program called "fixntldr.exe" I found here:-

Simple "ntldr is missing" fix with boot floppy, CD-R, or USB flash

Somehow I blew it & ended up with 2 Wins XP, as shown below in HD Manager, one in E primary & another in J logical shown in image below.

Can I delete the J logical partition?.

Can anybody see a way of getting this HD to boot on its own.

If I go in Safe Mode is there anything I can do to change things.

Attachments

• para2.jpg
    para2.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 3
Is BIOS correctly identifying the hard drive?

Is the hard drive from this machine previously, or from another one with a XP install?

We really need to know more information about whether it worked before, what you did to it, and how this all happened if possible please.

Bios sees it OK.

Originally working fine in my Asus A8N32-SLI delux mobo & moved it to my other Asus P5K Premium after its HD failed.

I Installed all relevant latest drivers for P5K, & do not exactly remember (as had the P5K original 250Gb Sata Excellstor fail a few days before) what difficulties occurred & tried to correct things using Paragon Partn Manager & the original bought XP CD, thus ending with 2 Wins on E primary & J logical partitions.

Then on boot-up started asking for a missing NTLDR & hal.dll, so In desperation then came across this "fixntldr.exe" floppy & now only by using this as start up disk I can boot into XP again. All directories & files are intact in it.

PS. Those missing files are in both Windows but in case they are corrupted, is it possible whilst in XP proper or its Safe Mode to EXTRACT them directly from the XP CD?

It all depends on whether your disc burning software will run in safe mode. If it will run its possible you can extract the data you require.

Your best scenario is going to be to format the hard drive and re-install Windows as a fresh copy and start again.

If the data (files) are corrupt its unlikely your going to recover them intact.

Back