Another HD prob - Hard Drive is at Location 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.

First post and i've already got a problem. so sorry.:(
I have an old desktop where my motherboard surrendered. I have a lot of important docs on my work on the hard drive and i wish to extract it out. so i got a ide usb cable thing and connect my old desktop hard drive to my laptop.
The thing is the "usb mass storage device" installed smoothly, but I can't see my old hard drive displayed.

After some searching, at the device properties, it said "Disk Drive is at Location 0". I checked windows help and googled. but cant really find my answers. Hope somebody can help me with it. I really need to retrive my docs.
If its any help, my laptop is running WinXP, while my old hard drive is running Win 98 and its FAT32.

Thanks very much in advance for any replies.:wave:

S.

What type of HDD is it? SATA or IDE? Have you set jumpers correctly when you put it in? does the HDD spin up or show in my computer? try right clicking my computer>manage>disk management and see if its there, and then try assigning a letter to it.. Also try rebooting with the HDD>USB attached..

Welcome to Techspot :wave:

thank you for your reply.

My HD is a 4 yrs old Maxtor DiamondMax Ultra ATA (40GB AT D740X-6L). I have tried the various jumpers settings and booting with it. It is getting worse now. does not detect at all. and windows giving me installation errors on the drivers. Whereas the first time when i connect it, it installed smoothly. So totally cant see the drive at all now. It is spinning though. That i am very sure.

Do you think even with the HD spinning, there is a possibility that my HD was fried together with my motherboard?

by seeking windows help file, its instruction is when at computer management, select Computer Management (Local) and selecting the action menu, chose rescan disks. But when i selected the Action menu, there was no refresh or rescan disks. Under the action menu, there are only -:
1)connect to another computer
2)all tasks
2a)-connect to another computer
2b)-send console message
3)New window from here
4)Export List
5)Properties
6)Help

So the Windows help does not help at all. Where exactly can i find the command to "refresh" or "rescan disk"?
I am so baffled.

Trying another method. I'd uninstalled and reinstalled the USB device driver and receive a "Device cannot start (Code 10)" error. :(
also prelude to my first post when i first connect the HD, it seems to share the same drive with my laptop's CD-Rom. at this moment, when i look at properties, it is saying my cd-rom is at Location 0.

A 4 year old drive giving you all those problems? Sounds like it is dying. You might want to replace it.

USB vs IDE?? did you get a converter to allow an IDE to be attached as a USB device? I've got the SCSI->USB, but didn't know there was an IDE equiv!

that got all the flavors

check device manager you may need to assign a letter and yer done
paragon disk manager can force a drive mount
what happens when you unplug the usb while the machine is on
you should have a icon in tray that shows hotplug device
need data recovered m7l.com
and pm me

good luck

Maybe the mainboard or hdd is so "old" that it uses CHS sector mapping instead of the common LBA. I'd try putting the drive to another desktop and testing different hdd settings in BIOS.

sorry. but i am not very good with comps but trying to get it done by myself cause i like to diy.
so windows disk management is not good? i need a 3rd party software?
what happened when i unplug the usb while connected is nothing. the hotswap icon does appears again but it is not really working. it wont tell me that i have unplugged the device. totally not appearing at all on the hotswap.
but when i go to device manager it keeps showing that "USB Mass Storage Device" is not working properly.

i'll try to get my hands on 3rd party disk management software. hopefully it will work.

Thanks a lot guys!

S. :)

yer usb drivers are not installed proper ???
should see this
try plug the USB device in without the drive in the device

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back