Another HDD Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP laptop. (2) 100gb hdd. My primary C: works just fine. My secondary drive D:, isn't accesible. Some files can be read, some can't. I am not able to save anything to the hard drive. Also, if you go to "my computer" and see the drive, "drive D:" is written in BLUE letters. What does this mean? Many files are written in this blue writing if you look at the file names. Lastly, there are a bunch of folders that are on the disk that i didn't put there, all temp folders with file names like "MSI4fe10.tmp" Thing is, there was no significant action that I can think of that caused this.

So... anybody got any answers? lol Thanks everybody

Your second partition is faulty (um you know that :) ) Not 2nd drive, I take it.

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management
Info on above

You can then format, or repair the partition.

But before you do, do you have any files required to be saved on that partition ?

NTFS compressed files will show up in blue. Not sure that solves anything, but at least thats an explanation for while they are blue.

hey, thanks guys. actually, it is a second drive, it physically has two hard drives. but yes, i do have files on there i need, is it going to erase when i repair? i know it will if i format. what is NTFS? thanks

Yes a repair can hurt compressed drives.

You are best backing up all data (docs; pics; music; other) first

Then, deciding on decompressing (big hard drive may also be required (compress basically gives you more blank space, decompress you lose that space)

How big is the drive; how much is used ?

NTFS- is the file system used generally for Windows NT/2000/Xp/Vista
Where Windows is installed

I dont think it's compressed, but it might be.

You mention back everything up first, I do have an external hard drive, but if I stick the files on to the external, will they now be openable?

The hard drive is a 100gb, with 73 gb used, and 19gb free.

The weird thing about those blue files being NTFS is that again, this is my secondary, where windows is not installed.

IDK, so back up files, do a repair or format, then reload files and I should be good?

Sorry NTFS is used for all drives normally.

"100gb, with 73 gb used" Hmm yes I think a larger harddrive is required here. Once you pass 50% of the used part, then you will begin to notice a decrease in performance.

I would suggest you purchase a 250Gig or larger harddrive
Back up everything to it (ie copy). Confirm all the backups are working and are all there.

Then install that drive as the secondary drive.

The 100gig drive can be then either formatted, and/or sold.

I have drives that use 90 percent no performance issues at all
what you watch for is where the OS is installed you need swap area
of at least 15 percent or the same amount as your virtual memory is set to
when copy to other drive it should uncompress if needed
just copy a few and check to see if the data is good
repeat this process
I have made the mistake when first recovering data that all was OK went to open files and gosh they where bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back