1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Another hello

By TheGrimmSleeper ยท 6 replies
Dec 5, 2006
  1. Hi all. This is my obligatory intro post. The name (on the web, at least) is Grimm. I'm 28(ish), the father of four, a computer geek by day and writer by night, a once and future IT pro. I got into the field straight out of college in the good ol' NT 4.0 days. I got halfway to the NT 4.0 MCSE before I landed my internship and subsequent first job and got sidetracked. Spent most of my time as a high level help desk guy. Left the industry after I got sick of being laid off, bought out, outsourced, downsized, and whatever else. Took some time off to really examine what I wanted to do, then kicked myself because this IS what I want to do. So I'm trying to get back into the industry, going after a few certs to update my skills, and building networks locally and abroad to keep tabs on the job market.

I'm not the stereotypical "geek"... I wasn't playing on Commodore 64's when I was little (had an Atari 2600 and every Nintendo ever, that was it), I wasn't ripping apart IBM's or making DOS beep at the public library, I wasn't and am not currently a math whiz, and to this day I'm terrible at programming. I never even touched a real computer (read: any computer that's not an Apple; the IIe's in my elementary school don't count) until I was a sophomore. I found I had an aptitude for figuring out how to effectively use a computer, installing, troubleshooting, etc. I received a bit of culture shock in college and in my first few jobs when I saw the extent of what you have to know to be an effective IT pro though. Being better than the average joe at using or modifying a computer, and being a quality IT pro are vastly different things and it's a lesson I learned the hard way. (And part of why I left for awhile.)

Now that I know the scope of what I'm getting into (you could say I was a "paper almost-MCSE" who is now legitimizing himself), I'm looking forward to getting back into things. I have a fondness for server administration and network security so I'm focusing my energies there at the moment.

And if you haven't already noticed, I have a penchant for being fairly long-winded. ;) That's me in a nutshell. A very large nutshell.

I look forward to being involved here and hopefully expanding what I know.

Oh... and I own an iMac. Sorry, but it's the ugly truth. I do video editing as a side job/hobby and I promise I only use it for that. Honest! ;)

2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Hi TheGrimmSleeper, cool name!!!!

It's always a pleasure to welcome a new member!!!!:)

I hope you enjoy your time with us!!!!

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

4. takaboku

takaboku TS Rookie Posts: 136

Hi and welcome to TechSpot, TheGrimmSleeper. And there aint no doubt that you is a writer.

5. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 403

Hi and Welcome to Techspot. So, you're from the 'burgh! Hey, I'm only about 60-65 miles east of ya in Flood City (Johnstown)!
    Hope your stay is comfortable and you pick up as much as I have.

6. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Hey Grimm. welcome to TechSpot. nice to meet you
    --kitty23.36^2cat

7. TheGrimmSleeper

TheGrimmSleeper TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks. :cool:

And thanks to everyone else for the warm welcomes.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.