Another hello

By TheGrimmSleeper
Dec 5, 2006
  1. Hi all. This is my obligatory intro post. The name (on the web, at least) is Grimm. I'm 28(ish), the father of four, a computer geek by day and writer by night, a once and future IT pro. I got into the field straight out of college in the good ol' NT 4.0 days. I got halfway to the NT 4.0 MCSE before I landed my internship and subsequent first job and got sidetracked. Spent most of my time as a high level help desk guy. Left the industry after I got sick of being laid off, bought out, outsourced, downsized, and whatever else. Took some time off to really examine what I wanted to do, then kicked myself because this IS what I want to do. So I'm trying to get back into the industry, going after a few certs to update my skills, and building networks locally and abroad to keep tabs on the job market.

I'm not the stereotypical "geek"... I wasn't playing on Commodore 64's when I was little (had an Atari 2600 and every Nintendo ever, that was it), I wasn't ripping apart IBM's or making DOS beep at the public library, I wasn't and am not currently a math whiz, and to this day I'm terrible at programming. I never even touched a real computer (read: any computer that's not an Apple; the IIe's in my elementary school don't count) until I was a sophomore. I found I had an aptitude for figuring out how to effectively use a computer, installing, troubleshooting, etc. I received a bit of culture shock in college and in my first few jobs when I saw the extent of what you have to know to be an effective IT pro though. Being better than the average joe at using or modifying a computer, and being a quality IT pro are vastly different things and it's a lesson I learned the hard way. (And part of why I left for awhile.)

Now that I know the scope of what I'm getting into (you could say I was a "paper almost-MCSE" who is now legitimizing himself), I'm looking forward to getting back into things. I have a fondness for server administration and network security so I'm focusing my energies there at the moment.

And if you haven't already noticed, I have a penchant for being fairly long-winded. ;) That's me in a nutshell. A very large nutshell.

I look forward to being involved here and hopefully expanding what I know.

Oh... and I own an iMac. Sorry, but it's the ugly truth. I do video editing as a side job/hobby and I promise I only use it for that. Honest! ;)
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

Hi TheGrimmSleeper, cool name!!!!

It's always a pleasure to welcome a new member!!!!:)

I hope you enjoy your time with us!!!!
  3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

4. takaboku

takaboku TS Rookie Posts: 136

Hi and welcome to TechSpot, TheGrimmSleeper. And there aint no doubt that you is a writer.
  5. sghiznaneck

sghiznaneck TS Maniac Posts: 403

Hi and Welcome to Techspot. So, you're from the 'burgh! Hey, I'm only about 60-65 miles east of ya in Flood City (Johnstown)!
    Hope your stay is comfortable and you pick up as much as I have.
  6. kitty500cat

kitty500cat TS Evangelist Posts: 2,154   +6

Hey Grimm. welcome to TechSpot. nice to meet you
  7. TheGrimmSleeper

TheGrimmSleeper TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks. :cool:

And thanks to everyone else for the warm welcomes.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.