I've been working on my son's computer for two days now and am stumped. The browser is hijacked along with a problem with even reaching IP addresses of anti-malware companies. All of the anti-spyware/malware programs have been disabled and it won't let me even uninstall and reinstall them. AVG Antivirus seems to work but doesn't find anything. Spybot, Ad-Aware, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and SuperAntiSpyware all are somehow blocked from executing. I have followed all the various lists of steps to complete and nothing seems to make any difference. It would be great to at least figure out what's redirecting my browsers (IE & Firefox). Before someone says, "follow the 8 steps.. " I've tried them and about 100 others. 1. Running AVG - Won't update but doesn't report a problem. 2. Ran CCleaner - Removed some cookies. No real affect. 3. Diasbled AVG real-time monitoring 4. Malware Anti Malware won't run. Clicking on the Icon doesn't do anything. Same with Spybot and the half dozen others that I have on the PC. Can't navigate to the source websites. Downloaded new copies on a different PC, but the installations all abend, fail, or hang. 5. Downloaded SuperAntiSpyware on a different PC. Crashes (almost instantly) when I attempt to install the code. 6. JRE updated and running without problems 7.Hijackthis log attached to original message. Just another clarification. I can't update AVG through the web interface but I can manually download the updates to a flash drive and manually install them on the infected PC. I disable the LAN connection and update AVG and run the scan daily. It never finds anything but does report that the boot sector and hosts file have changed. After all my screwing around with the PC, I'm sure I caused those two changes. The hosts file hasn't changed - I replaced it. Oh, one other note. I did download the current version of the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool. It ran for about 80 minutes and found (and said eliminated) 5 problems. Didn't seem to make any difference.