TechSpot

Another Newbie

By Averil
Feb 6, 2005
  1. Hello,
    I am a Grandmother of 5 and I need help, I have downloaded a Prosavage Driver, and it won't open, I have clicked on everything, ( I have downloaded programs before, with no trouble )
    When I run the install, a pop up comes up with 3 columns and only 1 is full.
    I have Win98 se
    Any help would be most welcome,
    Thankyou,

2. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 510

Hi
    Did you obtain the correct driver?
    Did you get the correct driver for your operating system?

Maybe if you delete the driver you downloaded and download it again it may work?

3. Averil

Averil TS Rookie Topic Starter

Reply to Blackhart

Hello Blackhart, Yes, I have my driver back it is, ProSavage and Utilities, S3 Gamma and S3 Savage4 family Display Switch2 Utility that's what is in the programs installed in Control Panel, it is my original Driver.

I was looking for a new Driver, because my computer was every now and then starting in safe mode, I don't know what is causing this ? I read somewhere you should run the latest Driver, and Microsoft no longer has updates available, I have just installed the Driver, so will wait and see if I have the problem back again.
    Thankyou, for replying to my post, and I would be grateful for any suggestions you may have.
    Averil

4. Blakhart

First off, I will say ditch 98 and get xp or Linux. Hopefully either will have all the drivers built it, and both will be far more stable than 98. If you can't upgrade the os, or don't want to, then maybe a fresh install of 98 after formatting the hard drive is in order. That is, if the safe mode starts keep occuring.

5. Averil

Reply to Blakhart

Hello Blakhart, so far so good, didn't get safe mode, fingers crossed, I have been told not to update from Win98 until they have all the " bugs " fixed in WinXP but will update if I have any more problems,

re formatting the Hard Drive and installing Win98 again,

Would I, a grandmother who loves her computer and trying my best to understand and fix any problems that arise, so far I have fixed my Epson printer ink pads and got it going again,

Would I be able to Format my Hard Drive myself, and if so where do I find the directions ?
    Averil

6. Blakhart

It's easy. You just boot from the cd, if the computer will do it readily. If not, you might have to go into bios and tell it to boot from the cd. My guess is you'll not have to tell it to. Then when it's booted from the cd, you just follow the directions on the screen.

If it hasn't caused you any grief, no need. But if it does, don't be afraid to jump in. If your current install has more than a year of use, you've done pretty well.
    Most 98/me installs rarely go a year without needing a refresher install.
    :D

7. Averil

Reply to Blakhart

Thankyou, for that information, I have done the re-install of Win98 too, the previous one has gone 2-3 years, so cross your fingers, all problems keep solved.

Off to babysit the grandchildren, will look in again Monday night,

Thankyou, again, for all your help,
    Averil

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.