Another PC Build Assitance Request

evilsmith

Hello, Techspot community I'm back again for some assistance for some recommendation for parts and advice for another build. I know it hasn't been long since my last build (in fact I haven't even finished it since the part hasn't arrived) but I need to help someone else build a new computer. The TechSpot community has been great to me for quite a few years and for all my builds and that's why I keep coming back for more help. Hopefully it is not too much ask for some more recommendations. Thanks in advance!
  • [LEFT]What are you going to use the PC for?[/LEFT]
This PC is more of a low budget gaming PC, the benchmark for this computer is Very High or Ultra (Around max settings) for Starcraft 2 Benchmarks. Browsing and probably a lot of video watching on sites such as Youtube, Hulu, and Netflix equivalents.
  • [LEFT]How much is your budget?[/LEFT]
Preferably around 600. This is the goal for the best computer at this price but can go over if the difference in terms of performance is great, but with great reluctance to go over 600
  • [LEFT]Where are you located and what sort of system do you currently have, if any? (I.e. fill out your profile)[/LEFT]
Located in California. Profile is updated, but it is an old build and irrelevant to the current build.
  • [LEFT]Are you going to buy online or from a retail store? (be sure to think about shipping costs in this case)[/LEFT]
I intend to purchase only online, and retailers I'm familiar with are Newegg (Taxed/No Shipping) and Tigerdirect (No Tax/Shipping unless promotion). However I have Shoprunner so no shipping fee for newegg.
  • [LEFT]Are you going to re-use anything from your current rig?[/LEFT]
Only going to be using peripherals, keyboard/monitor/mouse etc.
  • [LEFT]Do you need peripherals like a monitor, keyboard and mouse, amongst others?[/LEFT]
No.
  • [LEFT]Have you already bought any components?[/LEFT]
No components have been bought, as I don't trust myself to come up with the best combination but have high regards for the TechSpot community.
  • [LEFT]Do you already have an Operating System (OS) or will you be buying one? (this may add a significant amount of cost to a low-budget system)[/LEFT]
Have an OS available for this build.

I apologize for the awkward formatting, but once again thank you in advance to the techspot community and look forward to your responses.

Hmm any specific Harddrive or SSD? Also does CPU not come with cooler fan? Does this mean I should also buy some thermal gel?

Hmm any specific Harddrive or SSD?
On a $600 budget, I wouldn't think about including an SSD. Besides an SSD can always be included at a later date. On a small budget, I usually concentrate on components absolutely needed.

Also does CPU not come with cooler fan?
The boxed CPU's come with a heatsink and fan. The OEM CPU's are in my experience just the CPU.

Does this mean I should also buy some thermal gel?
The packaged heatsink for the CPU has a thermal pad. If you would rather use a different thermal compound than what comes with the boxed heatsink, it really you choice. However if you need to remove the heatsink after it has been mounted to the motherboard, you will need to replace the thermal compound.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 ($200.00)
MOBO: ASRock Z77 Pro4-M ($110.00)
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 ($60.00)
GPU: EVGA GTX 650Ti Boost ($170)
Case: Corsair 200R ($50)
RAM: GSkill 8GB ($70.00)

This will come to about $660.00. You didn't really need the CPU cooler for this build unless you're going to be doing some heavy overclocking. The stock will even allow for a small amount of OC. The smaller PSU will still be able to run this build. And, you will get the better CPU. Will still need a HDD though...

Edit: Added ram ._.

SC2 is absolutely NOT optimized at all, it can only use two threads.

Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220
Rosewill CAPSTONE-450 450W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire Ready, Active PFC Power Supply Alternatively if you want to go with the Corsair CX430 it's $20 with mail in rebate right now
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL (Use the promo code)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ ($5 mail in rebate)
MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card ($10 mail in rebate)

Then just overclock that dual core as high as possible.
That will total to $550 with the Rosewill Gold power supply. The GTX760 isn't necessary but it'll help on higher resolutions.
You could certainly cut down on the power supply with the CX430 and something like a 650Ti boost and fit in an SSD (which is what I would do) or save some money.

SC2 is absolutely NOT optimized at all, it can only use two threads.

Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637i33220
Rosewill CAPSTONE-450 450W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire Ready, Active PFC Power Supply Alternatively if you want to go with the Corsair CX430 it's $20 with mail in rebate right now
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL11D-8GBXL (Use the promo code)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ ($5 mail in rebate)
MSI Gaming N760 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card ($10 mail in rebate)

Then just overclock that dual core as high as possible.
That will total to $550 with the Rosewill Gold power supply. The GTX760 isn't necessary but it'll help on higher resolutions.
You could certainly cut down on the power supply with the CX430 and something like a 650Ti boost and fit in an SSD (which is what I would do) or save some money.

Yeah I was thinking of putting in a Core i3. I thought the 6350 would be a better buy though despite SC2 being heavily optimized for Intel. I think he should get a 650Ti Boost GPU and use the savings toward a better CPU.

Hmm any specific Harddrive or SSD? Also does CPU not come with cooler fan? Does this mean I should also buy some thermal gel?
I knew I forgot something! Get a WD Black HDD.

For SC2 there isn't really a better CPU, it just wants something with 2 highly clocked cores :)
You could go with a quad core, but for SC2 it's pretty much wasted.
In fact a GTX760 might be a bit 'wasted' on sc2 as well, I'm not too sure.

Hmm I know everyone has been building around the SC2 benchmarks but if I were to build something more overall would I go for the CPU: AMD FX6350 ($140) that was recommended? Also do HDD not factor into the builds as much anymore, because no one has been posting it along with their recommendations?

Not necessarily check it out.
The i3-3220 is still a powerful processor and can overclock well.
Haha you are right! Take the corsair cx430 ($20 after MIR) and a 650Ti boost and you'll have room :)

Hmm for the I3 would it be still good if I didn't over clock, as I have never really done it before and confident in my skills at the moment.

Hmm for the I3 would it be still good if I didn't over clock, as I have never really done it before and confident in my skills at the moment.
It is locked so you cannot overclock. I would push the 6350 instead, but sc2 is way too optimized for intel vs amd.

SC2 has been out for a while so it has been optimized. Blizzard favors Intel by a wide margin though. For your budget though, we can only get in a AMD (unless I can cut back on other components).

CPU: AMD FX6350 ($140)
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ($100)
RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance ($75)
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo ($35)
PSU: Corsair TX650 V2 ($90)
GPU: EVGA GTX 650Ti Boost ($170)
Case: Corsair 200R ($50)

This build is a tad over $600, but it can play SC2 very well.
So personally I would rather have an overall better computer rather than have an I3 dual core so I love the parts you recommended; but the parts here including the HDD and Optical drive is just too expensive. I was looking for something under around 600 including tax. Are there any other recommendations? Thanks again for all the help so far and sorry for being picky.

Back