Status
Not open for further replies.

fireball71

My pc-

Asus P4V533 Mx
2 Ghz Celeron
256 mb DDR SDRAM
MSI GeForce 4 Mx440 AGP8x

the problem - it started after i installed the graphics card into the pc. the pc would reboot during the games i played. soon, my pc would continuously reboot at anytime without warning. it became so bad that i couldnt even start windows, the pc would reboot during the load screen.

i was told that a format and reinstall would help. it did, i could use the pc for most normal applications, but not the games. every time i ran the game (fifa manager 06) the pc would reboot.

at first i thought it was a driver issue, but the game (fifa manager 06)runs fine in windows 98. other graphics hungry games run fine in the xp installation, so i dont think its anything to do with the drivers.

After reading the sticky on this forum by donNagual, ive narrowed it down to 2 possible problems.

1)i checked the event manager tool and it told me that every time the pc rebooted, it was due to an error in "winmgmt". Event id= 28.

"WinMgmt could not initialize the core parts. This could be due to a badly installed version of WinMgmt, WinMgmt repository upgrade failure, insufficient disk space or insufficient memory."

this is the exact description. i followed the advice given by the microsoft website. they suggested that i use system restore to go back to a previous setting, but id just reinstalled windows after a format, so thats out of the question.

the next option they suggested was to repair my installation of windows, i did that but the problem persists.

www.eventid.net, gave me a solution, fiddling with the registry and stuff, that didnt work either.

can any one here suggest another method to repair this?

2) the only other fault i see is the power unit. i dont know what the output is in my pc, but thats the only other explanation that remains.

i downloaded and installed speedfan, according to that the voltages in the 12V and 5V rails were within the 5-6% deviation. but in the 3.3V rail, the reading i got was closer to 3V than 3.1, a deviation of around 8%.
is this a problem? and is there any way i can solve it at home without taking it to an expert or something?

well, i wish i had that option. :)

ive formatted and reinstalled windows xp and im happy to say that the 'winmgmt' file has been installed properly and so far things are going ok. but i have to say, during the installation, the computer did reboot a couple of times. but now after the installation, its running smoothly.

do you think i should change the power supply? if the graphics card is too hot for the current power unit to handle, maybe i ought to get a newer one.

You could change the PSU to a more powerful unit. I would look into getting some aftermarket cooling systems for the graphics card if it gets really hot.

its not like the processor is getting hot. when i used the utility mentioned in that sticky thread, it showed the temps to be well below the danger mark, both the processor and the graphics card were in around 35-40 degrees.

ive got a question, if i disable the graphics card in the hardware menu, will that stop the graphics card completely? will the card stop using power? if i can do that then, for the time being atleast, i can switch off the card and only switch it on for gaming. if the pc remains stable then ill have the source of the trouble, wont i?

also, its the rainy season here, could it be moisture thats causing all the trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back