Another STOP blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
just recently i replaced a 56k modem in my friends computer. it worked fine...no problems...in a couple of days she asked me to come over and do a defrag....(she knows little about computers) i go over there to defrag her computer and the first thing i do is run msconfig and disable a lot of the crap she had coming up on her startup...not services..just the applications....i reboot and i get this stop message..

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x804E6BB4, 0xEF434744, 0x00000000).

i did a repair install of windows xp because she said she didn't want to lose anything she had on there but i've read a few threads and realized it's something to do with RAM? When i saw this i went to her house and pulled one stick out...same message...put the other one back in...same message..put it this way, i tried every combination and got the same results.

Just to make a note...She has 2x 256 ram chips.

Now, on another note, the only way i can boot her machine is if i disable all services. I can also boot her computer in safe mode. One time i disabled all services but microsoft services and i got the stop message. Then i tried it the other way around (enabled all non-microsoft services and disabled the microsoft services) and it booted.

i am stressed out because she calls me constantly. can anyone help.

Tmagic650 said:
"I did a repair install of windows xp because she said she didn't want to lose anything"...

Did you do a repair of XP or didn't you? If you didn't, please do an XP repair. It won't destroy any files or any settings. You will have to rerun Windows (Microsoft) Updates though. You can find the instructions here:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

yes..i did do a repair install and got the same results, i appreciate the suggestion though.

The hard drive probably has some corrupted sectors. Try running CHKDSK in the repair mode to check the hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back