Another USB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshields13

My computer still has a USB 1.1. I have been running a scanner out of one port and a 4 port hub out of the other. I have a printer, a card reader and a PDA cradle in the hub. I purchased a really cheap little camera the other day. The specs simply say USB connection. When I try to install it, I get a message that there is not enough power available. I tried taking out the other 3 things in the hub but I still get the message. Is my problem that this is actual a USB 2.0, or might it be something else?

This brings me to my next question. Can I replace my current 1.1 card with a new 2.0 one? Do I have to do anything special?

As always, thanks for all your help!!

You could try connecting that camera directly to your PC, not to the hub. It will probably work then.
You can replace your 1.1 card with a USB2.0 PCI-card without any problem. Belkin sells a model with 1 internal and 4 external ports.
Don't know about your hub, whether that is 2.0 compatible, but with the above card you would not need it.
You probably get new drivers for Windows98 with it. XP needs Service Pack 1 to work USB2 properly.
Win2000 is OK.

Hubs are often not powered, meaning they do not deliver enough power to use most self-powered storage devices (like a camera, for instance)

If you would like to use your hub in conjuction with other devices, then you can either add a USB card to your computer, or buy a powered hub. A powered hub will come with an AC adapter.

Thanks Rick, but the hub I have is powered. That's why I thought the camera might need a USB 2 connection.

That shouldn't matter. The only difference between USB 2 and USB 1.1 is 2 is 400 times faster. I don't think there is any power differences. And your camera should work just fine on a 1.1 system.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
That shouldn't matter. The only difference between USB 2 and USB 1.1 is 2 is 400 times faster. I don't think there is any power differences. And your camera should work just fine on a 1.1 system.
More like 40-50. :) But yeah.. Lots faster. ;)

USB 1.1 devices are compatible with USB 2.0, as is the opposite also true.

When I set up the camera, I had a printer, PDA cradle and a Compact Flash card reader also hooked up, but none of them were in use. I would think that they would be not drawing ANY power. Do I need to get another hub and bring off the other USB port on my computer? I'm running XP SP1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back