Antec plusview 1000amg fans, suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

acidosmosis

I have the Antec Plusview 1000AMG case.

Inside the case are 3x80mm fans, and 1x120mm direct coolant fan (blowing towards the motherboard).

Here is my question. I have the 1x120mm fan pointed towards the mother, 2x80mm fans on the back of the case sucking air out, and the other 1x80mm fan is behind my 2nd hard drive sucking air out also.

I'm not really sure what would be the best configuration for these fans that I have in this case. Suggestions please. Especially from those that have a similiar fan setup.

Thanks guys.

The 120mm is in your side panel, correct?

So you have the PSU blowing out, and the 2 80mm fans exhausting as well. Sounds to me like it would be balanced if the fan in the front of your case, in front of your hard drive, is blowing in. Try that.

Uncleel once posted a site that had diagrams for proper and inproper ways to mount fans. That could probably be dug up somewhere.

The 120mm fan is screwed into the pci/agp slot screw holes, and is pointed straight towards the pci/agp cards and motherboard.

Is the fan getting the air from outside the case or is it just recycling the air in the case?

Just point the fan in front of your hard drive to intake and you should have a very nice airflow scheme :)

Ok I switched the fan that is behind the hard drive to push air into the case, so now there is that fan pushing air in from the front of the case, towards the back, then 2 fans sucking air out from the back, plus the 120mm fan pushing air towards the motherboard that is between the 2x80mm (airing out) and the 1x80mm (airing in).... getting 118-120 degrees Fahrenheit with
normal cpu usage (browsing webpages,etc).

I forgot to mention. I just realized that my Enermax power supply is exausting some nice heat from the back of the PS out towards my cd burner. With my case panel off I get 116F, with it on I get 118-120. I *know* now that i just realized this, that the power supply exausting that heat is what is causing the inside of my case to heat up an extra 4'F when the panel is on. So, what do you guys think about 118-120'F? Athlon XP 1.73ghz.. good or bad?

So, the PSU is blowing this air into the case? If the PSU fan(s) is blowing in, you should REVERSE it NOW(just flip the fan around so it blows the other way) The PSU fan(s) should exhaust air out of the case. This is usually the highest point of exhaust in the case and helps to maintain natural upward flow of hot air while moving it out of the case.

No no no... the exaust fan is out the outside of the case (obviously)...and exausting air... then there is a fan on the BOTTOM of the psu pulling case air into the power supply to then exaust it out of the back of the power supply (this is the way the PSU was designed).... BUT.... there is an area on the OTHER side of the PSU .. sort of a "breather" area for the PSU that is releasing some amount of heat.

Take a look at the picture of the power supply here:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/psu-01.html
(bought this from newegg.com though)

The fan on the side is exausting air, the one on top is pulling air in from the case... the back side that you dont see has breathing holes (more like lines actually) and is releasing heat into the case...

..but.. actually.. to counter this and any other heat problems I may have in the future and for some EXCELLENT cooling.. I plan on buying this 162mm fan.. cutting a round hole in the top of my case and mounting the 162mm fan on it, so that it blows cool air into the case.. in the process cooling off the PSU, and forcing any air at the top of the case down into the bottom of the case where it can be sucked out by the 2x80mm fans. This is going to be my final cooling addition to my case.

So this isnt a bad thing considering.. I paid about $8 for an additional 80mm fan, and about $15 for 1x120mm fan...
so the total cost of my fan cooling options would be around $30...
the 162mm fan pushes 210 cfm compared to the other fans pushing/pulling a total of about 200cfm.. That would make my total case CFM push/pull to 410cfm. Can't possibly need anymore cooling than that. :)

Try covering the holes and see if it helps. You might want to monitor the PSU itself though to make sure it doesn't get too hot. I don't think this should be a problem but better safe than sorry.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
..but.. actually.. to counter this and any other heat problems I may have in the future and for some EXCELLENT cooling.. I plan on buying this 162mm fan.. cutting a round hole in the top of my case and mounting the 162mm fan on it, so that it blows cool air into the case.. in the process cooling off the PSU, and forcing any air at the top of the case down into the bottom of the case where it can be sucked out by the 2x80mm fans.

Heh, no, think about what your saying. Also keep in mind that hot air rises. Having an intake fan at the top of your case is not practical. Hot air rises, so all the nice and cool intake air from your massive 162mm fan is conflicting with the hot air that's rising. Turbulence is public enemy #1 in airflow schemes. Instead, have that 162mm at the top exhausting. I can't stress this further.

Then another issue arises. With 3 80mm fans (PSU included) and one 162mm fan exhausting, it only leaves your 120mm & one 80mm fan intaking. It could end up that your two 80mm exhaust fans may need to be reversed. 80mm and 162mm out, 3 80mm and a 120mm in. That would probably make more sense...

Go with the flow.

OK, I must have missed that the first time. I didn't realize you were exhausting air at the bottom. As I said before, and Veh also pointed out, you want to blow the hot air out at the top. You want to intake air at the bottom. Hot air rises, so this lets the hot air rise while getting it out of the case. Intaking it at the bottom means the coolest possible air is being sucked in. Veh also made another good point about turbulence(maybe something I said finally sunk in) Anyway, you want to keep the air flowing in a general up and out direction. Directing it toward hot spots is good, but you need to try and keep it from disturbing the flow. This creates "dead air" These little pockets where air doesn't really move, will cause hotspots and can be problematic.

If you have a way to do it, using a plate of glass or plexiglass and some smoke can help get the airflow just right. Just replace the side panel with the plate and allow the smoke to be sucked into the case through the intake fan(s) The smoke will let you see the airflow and you can then make corrections to the fan configuration if needed. Then you can replace the panel and all should be right with the world again.

Yea I realized that air rises when I was talking about getting the 162mm fan, but I was thinking.. a fan THAT big and powerful would just "blow" the whole hot air rises deal out the window and it wouldn't count... no pun intended.. lol...

Oh well.. hmm.. I dunno though man I don't wanna waste a 162mm fan to suck air out instead of pull it in .. ya know?
Would it actualy suck enough air out to be worth getting a fan that large for that purpose???

hmmmmm

Do you have a good pic of the case, so I can see where the fans are/can be placed. It would be much easier to suggest a good flow design if I know exactly what I'm dealing with as far as where fans can be mounted.

OK, looks like there are two fan brackets in back and one in front. It also looks like there is one in the side panel. If that is wrong let me know because it may alter my suggestions. I would say to put a fan in the bracket at the bottom front intaking air, one in the side panel also intaking. The two in back should exhaust. The PSU should also exhaust. You may need to make some fine tuning to get the best airflow.

I have pretty much the same case, they're both Chieftec clones, and there's another fan bracket in that first HDD bay. I thought it may have been different since you said you only had 1 fan in the front. Anyway - in this case (no pun intended ;)) you should buy 2 80mm fans instead of the 162mm - put another 80mm fan in the front and cut out an 80mm hole in the top of your case. That would be pretty nice, and keep your intake/exhaust ratio pretty balanced.

hehe :) weeeehhheeee
I am a very happy man,
I just got my self this exact case. And I like it alot.
I also got a new psu (antec 430 true power).
I have two 80mm fans blowing air into the case in the front. and then the two fans the came with the case exhausting air in the back. I have set my two hdd in each hdd bay so that they aren't too close toeach other and tucked all the wires neatly away (I think).
I am using Motherboard Monitor to keep track of my temps and it seems they droped by like 10 degrees from before with my crappy old case.

I am not sure about this though 'cause I didn't use MBM before. I used to have MSI's PC Alert 4.
which is more accurate?

anyways, like I said before I am a very happy man right now. (My gf isn't too happy about the money I spent on this latest upgrade though...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back