Anti virus programmes

I used to use Microsoft security essentials and someone told it has no upgrades they told me to use AVAST is this any good? sometimes when I'm on a website it says (internet explorer has stopped working)
please help I am not sure what is happening to my 2 pcs.

Avast is the AV I've been using for years & happy with it. It updates its virus datebase every 240 minutes (if online ) & if properly configured you should see a pop up in the lower right corner of your monitor.
I at one time did use MSE but that was years ago. Everybody here has their favorite AV. Good luck. :)

Last edited:
MSE/Windows Defender is not secure as they used to be as Microsoft once told, "its just a basic security program".

I'd never recommend Avast as they messed up with updates and the patch is not yet available. View more details here. They are also occasionally similar to AVG issue, which is described below.

Please don't trust Kaspersky and Symantec[Norton] as they spread Govt. Malware.
More details here.

AVG is not trustworthy as even if you uninstall it or use any cleaners/uninstaller programs, you'll end up with more hidden traces which will create trouble to system files and also you won't be able to use any other AV. You only have to reinstall OS to fix it.

My final suggestion is currently Bitdefender/Trend Micro as they both has no issues like other AV listed above. They don't support Govt. Malware. Their detection rate is excellent. There are various promo key offers running now for Bitdefender. You can get the list here.

Optional: For much more protection, use Malwarebytes in parallel with Bitdefender/Trend Micro.

MSE/Windows Defender is not secure as they used to be as Microsoft once told, "its just a basic security program".

I'd never recommend Avast as they messed up with updates and the patch is not yet available. View more details here. They are also occasionally similar to AVG issue, which is described below.

More details here.

AVG is not trustworthy as even if you uninstall it or use any cleaners/uninstaller programs, you'll end up with more hidden traces which will create trouble to system files and also you won't be able to use any other AV. You only have to reinstall OS to fix it.

My final suggestion is currently Bitdefender/Trend Micro as they both has no issues like other AV listed above. They don't support Govt. Malware. Their detection rate is excellent. There are various promo key offers running now for Bitdefender. You can get the list here.

Optional: For much more protection, use Malwarebytes in parallel with Bitdefender/Trend Micro.
Personally, I still believe if you get Avast from a respectable link, it'll serve you well.
You might choose to read this too https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/thanks-for-having-clean-downloads.208153/

I am using Dr.Web licence for a year. It works quite good. Block bad websites, protect my PC from attacks. Love it.

More details here.

To the best of my knowledge, "MSE/Windows Defender" are two different programs.

I've used Kaspersky for myself and hundreds of my clients for about a decade and have only had a handful of issues with something getting through - every single time was a situation where a suspected the end user argued with the security warnings to get their "must have" download. The "government malware" claim is something new to me and I'm investigating...

I've been hearing great things about Vipre and have it on my list of "to keep an eye on..." products

Back