Anti virus software problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
First of all, I would like to thank you for the great source of assistance that this site is. I know the basics when it comes to computers but thats about it, so try and bare with me. Ive got Wndows XP by the way.

I came across the problem yesterday of my Windows Task Manager not working and with the help from a thead from this site I downloaded the adware anit-virus program, ran it and it found no less then 214 unwanted programs on my machine. After having them all qurentined I restarted my computer and Task Manager was back and running fine. Then I got carried away. I went into my sisters login, virus scanned it, qurentined everything and then restrated the computer.

I dont know if its just my computer but it dosn't like having more then one anti virus program on it. I forgot to uninstall the mcafee software that came with my computer after installing the new adware anti virus software. Now everytime I turn on my computer I can get to the log on screen but no further. I try to log on but it starts loading like normal for a few seconds then it logs itself off and takes me back to the user login screen.

This has happened once before when my brother tryed to install the Nortan anti virus program a few months ago. He had to phone Dell up and spent an hour on the phone re-booting the system to uninstall the nortan software, but once we were back down to just the one anti-virus program on the computer everything was fine.

Basically is there an easier way I can unistall the macafee software without being able to log on?

Thanks

Ive tried that. I can get to the login screen in safe mode, but then it just acts the same, I try to login in and it takes me back to the login screen. Is there anyway I can by-pass it?

Thanks

That`s a real problem.

I can`t think of any other way at the moment.

Maybe some of our other members will have other ideas.

Regards Howard :)

not really. Without adminstrator rights, you're screwed. The only other way is to reformat the hard drive fresh give yourself admin rights only and give others in your house limited rights.

Ah, that dos'nt sound good :( . That wont cause me to loose any progams or info i have stored on the computer will it? (There is some really important accountancy stuff on there).

no. From the system adminstrator of the machine. Whoever your IT tech is at your work. If it is a home machine and you didn't give yourself admin rights, shame on you, you'll have to reformat and reload the OS back on your machine. If it is a used machine, you'll have to contact the previous owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back