TechSpot

Antivirus & firewall to run on Windows98 with 32Mb RAM

By Pazuzu
Apr 8, 2005
  1. I am presently running McAfee VirusScanProf. 7.0 & Firewall.
    The virus scan has been tempramental for a long time - frequently requiring me to go in & "launch virus scan" then click to start active file checking. Mcfee support upgraded me to some later version, but the problem has persisted.
    Recently I sometimes get error messages - a whole series of boxes opening up to warn me that the something cannot connect to application files( please forgive my vagueness - I'll make a note next time it happens)

I do not want to spend any more cash on this PC as I hope to upgrad in a couple of months.
    I do weekly updates of signature data files & I also run Ccleaner & AdAware.

Does anyone know of a reliable virus checker & firewall to run on such a low spec. PC ?

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

3. Pazuzu

Pazuzu TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 215

Thanks - I will try these just a soon as I can get some backup facility. I am sure a re-format would resolve the very frequent freezing & crashing.

The McAfee error message appearing in a cascade of boxes was "unable to establish a communications link between the application & the device driver". As McAfee are no longer supporting Virus Scan Prof 7.0 this is a bit irrelevant I suppose.

4. Pazuzu

Pazuzu TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 215

AVG7 - not free now?

I have just visited the www.grisoft site & they seem to be charging £22 for a licence now. I think I may have missed the free offer - or can I still evaluate it for free? I emailed the sales department to check on compatability as the site says " windows 2000 & NT supported" but they replied that it would work on the 64Mb PC with Win98.

I think sales departments & the term "free" are not compatable however

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.