Any alternative for Torx Screws? removing heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddy89

HI... i was wondering if there are any alternatives to using torx screw kits to remove my heat sink for cleaning as i dont have any to hand and need a quick alternative.... any ideas? also if anyone knows of a good guide to tweak my laptop safley but to make it much faster that would be greatley appreciated... thanks guys, Toddy

Are you trying to be quick, or cheap?

hmm, well if they're not too tight AND you can position them so that you can put a lot of weight on them AND you don't plan on reusing them you might be able to remove them with the right size phillips. Otherwise, head down to an autoparts shop, or the like, buy 3 or four individual bits that look the right size, then return the ones that don't fit.

Torx fasteners have 6 lobes so a Phillips won't work well, if at all. An Allen hex key might work BUT you run the risk of rounding off the lobes. If you do that, you might have to drill them out. I highly recommend getting the correct Torx bit despite the trouble of getting it. I work on cars most weekends as a hobby and have seen many stripped fasteners from using the wrong tools and I've drilled out my share.

Torx tools come in a variety of styles: screwdriver style, "L" handle, socket bit and others. Your choice. I have nearly all of them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back