Any Good Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MightyKing

Hi, I have a Pentium 4 Dual Core 1.8GHz

I would like to upgrade it, but I don't know what to upgrade it to. I would like a fast processor that can split up the tasks so it runs faster and also one that has around 2.5 - 3.8 or higher Ghz.

Any suggestions?

we need to know a few things about your current system.

1. is it a custom build, or is it manufactured (hp, dell, ect)
2. if it is custom, what kind of motherboard does it have?
3. I don't think there is a dual core pentium 4. Did you mean pentium D?

@OP, it's probably a Pentium D. Use Everest Home Edition or SIW (Google for them) to tell us your current CPU specs and your motherboard's brand and model number or your PC's model number, whichever is appropriate. And do keep in mind that modern processors run at 1.86-2.2GHz and are amongst the most powerful available. Higher frequencies don't always mean better performance. A Pentium D 3.2GHz will have its *** whooped by an entry level Core 2 Duo at 1.8GHz.

Hahah damn i feel stupid now.

Sorry, yes its an Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80Ghz
It's manufactured HP

Operating System

PC
Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 04
Product Name: P6324A-ABA 750C

Motherboard
Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model: P4B266LA

CPU
CPU: Intel Pentium 4
Cpu Socket: Socket 478 [PGA 478]

Is that ok? Tell me if i missed something.

Your motherboard only supports Northwood and Williamette core CPUs with a 400MHz FSB. I didn't find any Pentium 4s on Newegg or TigerDirect but I did find this on Newegg. It's likely more crappy than your current one though but I'm not really sure, let's see what others have to say on the matter. You can probably get one on ZipZoomFly coz the site doesn't seem to open for me (wierd :S). Other than that, you're generally going to have a hard time finding a suitable processor and will have to end up buying one from eBay or the like. :(

Yeah I see, I guess I'll just have to deal with this CPU in this PC.

Well I'll just upgrade my other PC:

ASUS P4C800
1GB RAM
120GB HardDrive
RADEON 9800 128mb
Pentium 3.0 GHz

CMH said:
I didn't even know that the socket 478 supported dual core processors...

They don't :suspiciou ..... or else, I need to do some more research :p .

Lucky Seven......!

Newegg shows 7 socket 478 processors up to a 3Ghz Prescott P4.
The Celeron 2.5Ghz mentioned above, (to me anyway), doesn't seem like it would be as good as the P4 which is already in the machine. The Celeron's cache sizes (in socket 478 models), really cripples them.
This P4 Northwood 2.5Ghz would be an improvement, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116215
but the 478 socket machines are really a dead end.

captaincranky said:
Newegg shows 7 socket 478 processors up to a 3Ghz Prescott P4.
The Celeron 2.5Ghz mentioned above, (to me anyway), doesn't seem like it would be as good as the P4 which is already in the machine. The Celeron's cache sizes (in socket 478 models), really cripples them.
This P4 Northwood 2.5Ghz would be an improvement, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116215
but the 478 socket machines are really a dead end.

his board won't take that processor since it only takes a 400fsb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back