Any hints for HDD swap in a Portable

By Liquidlen
May 7, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am going to put a new 40 Gig Hdd into my Daughter's Dell Inspiron 8000 (10 Gig) I have built a number of ATX's but never a portable.I checked Dell's site they have directions that look pretty basic, but I thought maybe one of you guys might have some hints or issues I should be aware of. Any thoughts?
  2. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

its pretty simple, you pretty much just remove a screw, pop out the drive and pop the new one in. One thing you do need to know(you may already) You'll have to replace that drive with a Notebook HDD.
  3. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,646

Thanks Storm ;
    I did by a Hitachi 2.5 for Portables.(Although I have done worse)
    I would have hung my head in shame if I made that mistake!
  4. LNCPapa

LNCPapa TS Special Forces Posts: 4,273   +258

It's extremely simple - really not much to worry about. I have a laptop whose drives I switch out regularly - one drive has Redhat on it - the other is Windows. Takes all of 30 seconds to switch and get going. How quickly you can switch will depend on your laptop model/design, but it should plug right in with only 1 possible way to connect.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.