Any mobo core 2 & p4 compatiable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guigsy1

i'm looking to upgrade my computer bit by bit and i was wondering if anyone knew about a mobo that would run a core 2 duo (when i get one) but also run a old P4 2.00 GHz? i was looking around at some of the specs and most list their mobo as core2 duo/core duo/pentium ee/p4 etc. so, i investigated further (specifically here) and this one is listed for P4's but it doesn't get down to my older model.

in other words, if it lists P4 support does it mean every P4? does anyone know of a core 2 duo that would also support my p4?

i understand that a mobo swap is tricky, so i'm planning on a fresh install with a new hd. if someone could point me in the right direction, i would really appreciate it

there are two (out of many, but most common) types of P4 chips. the Socket 478 and the Socket 775. The latter is the latest model and same socket as the C2D uses.

The 478 is the older model of the P4 which if you have one is probably going to be hard to get a replacement mobo to. The thing you're looking at compatibility espeicaly with CPUs is what socket type they have. Its no point trying to fit a square box into a triangle hole. So the gaping question is: what socket do i have? you can find out by using a hardware reader like Everest Home or SIW or CPU-z etc. Those will tell you info about your CPU and its model.

Generally yes that mobo you've linked will work with a modern P4 (775 socket type) and is also compatible with the C2D as well.

thanks for the explaination, while i'm really familiar with computer components, i never took the time to learn about sockets, fsb, chipsets, and such. looks like i got myself a 478 and would have to splash for both mobo and cpu to upgrade to c2d

Guigsy1 said:
thanks for the explaination, while i'm really familiar with computer components, i never took the time to learn about sockets, fsb, chipsets, and such. looks like i got myself a 478 and would have to splash for both mobo and cpu to upgrade to c2d

There is no Core 2 Duo on the 478 Socket, it's on the LGA775 (T) Socket.

i'd have to agree with above, the 478 is not compatible with the core 2. I feel your pain....

(although P4's will make a good farm or file server...:D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back