TechSpot

Any news about IBMs 100GHz processors?

By ldogg
Mar 6, 2002
  1. Know anything about IBMs 100ghz processors?

I heard about IBMs 60ghz processor and how they say they'll hit 100 by the end of the year. I think I heard that they're going to put them in network hardware and such; anyone think that they'll be availible to the public at all? It would be really cool to have a 100ghz processor but I bet they're pretty expensive.

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I am not exactly sure why you would need something that fast, or necessarily want it, other than the fact that you can say I have a 100GHZ processor. But you never know for the right amount of money I am sure anything is possible.

3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Silicon-germanium-based ring oscillator circuits made for networking purposes. It'll take some time until desktop PC's have 100Ghz CPUs.

4. ldogg

ldogg TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 38

I need a processor that does a gazilion processes a second because I am very impatient.

5. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 1,145

bus speed

6. Tawhid 1

Tawhid 1 TS Rookie Posts: 59

I don't think it is much for me i need 1000ghz
    if u have any info about that pls send me an e-mail.

picture had no relevance so it was removed by moderator

7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Strange - looks like every time CPU speed is doubled, users' patience is halved. 15 years ago I spent half an hour to load just one application from cassette. Usually it didn't work at the first time, I had to adjust the head a bit and try again.

8. ldogg

ldogg TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 38

Not my patience. I've always had no patience whatsoever. I want everything to load instantaniously!

9. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Now that just doesn't seem too feasable to me. Or very practicle. Looks like it might help if you learn just a little bit, it will make your life a whole lot easier.

10. PHATMAN5050

PHATMAN5050 TS Rookie Posts: 645

Can you imagine the heatsink and fan on one of those??? My 1.6ghz processor's dragon orb 3 is loud enough to need a muffler!!

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.