Any recommendations for a new Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I've decided to upgrade my system from a PIII to a P4 (I don’t want an AMD so no telling me how I’m losing out).

My budget will be +-R3500(including vat) max for processor, memory (if new board requires DDR) and the motherboard.
I’m going to get a P4 2.4GHz 533Mhz FSB (R1499 ex vat from local vender) and it seems that most of the new boards use DDR memory so I’ll get 512 MB DDR (266 FSB Module 184-pin, R 479 ex vat from local vender).

What I’m asking for is recommendations for a motherboard to use with the above components. It seems that I’ll have about R1245 over just for the board.
I don’t require on-board sound nor on-board display card.

Many thx in adv :D

I would recommend one of Intel's 850 Desktop Boards; I have heard nothing but good things! Although if you want something a little cheaper, try a barely older 845DB, I have one of these, and I can tell you that it is a highly stable and capable mobo; I can also say that I have had no problems whatsoever with compatibility or anything else for that matter. Whatever mobo you decide to buy, I wish you the best of luck as I know how hard it can be to pick out necessary hardware :grinthumb .

I just put my new system together less than a week ago. I have the same CPU as you are going to get. I opted for an Asus P4PE BP (Black Pearl). I couldn't be happier as this board has been rock solid so far...... comes with lots of xtra goodies as well. Check newegg for the specifics & also look at the original P4PE as it has more features (SATA, Gigabit LAN, Firewire IEEE1394). I had no use for those & wanted the BP's software package as well as the USB flash pen drive. Good Luck

To prashidi R (South African Rand): R8 =$1(US)

I would like to go to the direction a of Intel chipset providing I get value for money and not ripped off by the local venders.

To intimidator: I've looked at the board you've recommended and I'll see if I can get it local at a good price other wise I'll look at a smaller cheaper board.

To timmoore: Is'nt the 850 series RAMBUS? If it is then that will cost me in the region for about R3500 ex tax. And that would be way out of my allowed buget.

Yes, I believe it is, my apologies. I was also unaware of the value of your R currency until now. Take a look at Intel's motherboard home page for some other decent products. Although, if you aren't too keen on Intel, give ASUS a try as they also make very good mobos.

To timmoore: I did notice the Asus P4PE BP as it does support DDR333 and my current board is an Asus CUSL2 which was highly praised when it came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back