Any Suggestions? Case Modding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvdy

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might be able to but a window in the side of the case as attached? I would also like to get a fan into the middle of the window.
Thanks in advance
Allan (alvdy)

Attachments

• P1020005.jpg
    P1020005.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 31
If you don't know how to do it, maybe you shouldn't do it at all. On the other hand if you are willing to learn how to do it and don't mind losing the case, maybe you should. For a window you'll need a piece of plexi- or acrylic glass.

Here's what it should look like when you mod it.
(little photoshop of your picture).

I've cut windows with both a dremel and with a metal cutting jig saw, both work.

Why a window? So you can see the guts of your computer?
The fan is a good idea if your system runs hot, especially if you place that fan close to the high heat area. But a lexan (plexiglass) window will cause EMI to escape from the case, and may give you trouble if you use a scanner or other radio, or don't have cable TV.

I have trouble using my police scanner near my computer anyway. Wireless router doesn't help the matter <g>

FW

When I put my window in I cut the opening useing an angle grinder with a cut off wheel(a dremal or jig saw would be easier to handle and is recomended for those less experienced in metal work) and tin snips. I cut slits in the corrners of the opening and folded over the metal about half an inch to form a rolled flange look. Then I glued the lexan in from the back with heavy duty liquid nails(you could also use pop rivits if you like that look). For a fan use a drill with hole saw the size of the desired opening to create the opening, and a fan grill to cover it.

I spend time and money for the inside components like motherboard, processor, memory and power supply. I don't care to see the inside, and I never spend too much on a case, for that matter. It is "what's inside that counts"...

Thanks for the replies guys. The reason I want to put a window in the side of it is so that I can see the cold cathodes that I am going to put in there. And the fan so that I can have that extra bit of cooling for it! Maybe I will take it into my local PC shop - they may know someone who can do it!! I dont really want to lose this case!
Cheers
Allan

Tmagic650 said:
I spend time and money for the inside components like motherboard, processor, memory and power supply. I don't care to see the inside, and I never spend too much on a case, for that matter. It is "what's inside that counts"...

Same goes for my car!
Wouldn't want a see-thru hood <g>

But then, I can understand the interest. So many cool things we can do. If only there was the time <g>

FW

I think trying to add different shapes and designs when cutting out sides is best...

and if it is a plain design, find something else that intrests you and etch that on your glass...

fw2004 said:
Same goes for my car!
Wouldn't want a see-thru hood <g>
FW
A hood window for a car!
How come no-one's thought of that?
Im gonna give it a go while the missus is out lol.

Haven't you ever seen Grease? He has a clear hood on the car at the end. They called it something dumb if memory serves. I don't really remember, I hate that movie...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back