Any way to do a sfc/scannow without a Win XP disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirei Blossom

Hi,

I need to do a sfc/scannow, but my Compaq Presario came preinstalled with Win XP, and they don't give out separate Win XP disks. Is there any way around this?

I've been looking around the internet, and there are some options that say to look in some folder called C:/i386 or something, and to burn it to CD, and try from that.

I'd more than appreciate it if you guys could give me specific instructions on how to do this, as I can't find detailed information on this, and don't want to mess anything up.

Thanks.

I found the I386 folder, but its buried really deep in the D: drive, inside a ZIP folder.

When the message pops up saying "Insert CD", it doesn't give me the option to point it to a different path. Any way around this?

I don't want to extract the files in the zip folder in order to burn them on CD.

The correct i386 (if it exists) will normally be at -

'Main Drive':\i386

The correct i386 folder will have about 700 files in it.

Only OEM installs are likely to have the i386 folder.
(it can also be on recovery disks).

If it is zipped you will have to unzip it,and tell Windows

where it is.See HERE

This is where my i386 is:

D:\CPQDRV\250505\00A\008\250505.ZIP:\WINDOWS\I386

That's where Compaq put its Win XP files. The problem is the Zip folder. If I unzip it, where should I unzip it to? And I just want to make sure it won't damage anything?

I looked at my regedit, and the Sourcepath is Drive E: (which happens to be my DVD drive.) I'm attaching a screenshot of the regedit screen. It says E:\. How can I change that? :(

The solution is unzip it anywhere. :)

As long as you point Windows to it,

in the source path.

Eg : Put the i386 in C:\

The source path in the registry will be C:\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back