Any way to remove icon selection range/area?

Karmashock

One of the more annoying things about Windows 7 is that there is a giant blue square around each icon. From 95 to XP you had to actually click on the icon itself for it be registered as a click. Now there's a giant vague selection area around the icons. This leaves almost no room in crowded folders for me to right click on the white space or drag and drop folders.

I know the size of the area can be increased or decreased but it seems linked to the width of the text. If the icon selection range could be reduced to 32/32 while not interfering with the width of the text then that would be fine. But as it is, each icon is a giant button.

I just posted the way to bring manual icon arrangement back to Windows 7, has anyone figured out how to remove the icon selection range or at least unlink it from label width?

Not sure but I think you can't remove those blue squares. Maybe you can resize them somehow. I like them and they never caused trouble to me.

The following may or may not work when it comes to Windows 7, but it very much works for me for I use Windows XP Professional. I would figure that these same techniques described for a Windows XP fix, would apply to Windows 7. If Windows 7 is closely related to Windows Vista, than this fix will work, for when I used Vista Ultimate, these same techniques worked.

Give it a look, it just might pan out for you!
http://elechub.com/how-to-remove-blue-background-behind-desktop-icons/

Hope this helps a little!..................Good luck :)

For Windows 7:
Control Panel, System, Advanced System Settings, Advanced, Performance: Visual Effects, Processor Scheduling, Memory usage and virtual memory, Visual Effects with "let Windows choose what's best for my computer" checked, uncheck "use drop shadows for icon labels on desktop", and maybe also uncheck "use visual styles on windows and buttons"

Play with these settings to get Windows Aero tamed the way you want

Back