Anybosy got a backup solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

me(who else?)

I gonna dual boot my computer soon, but I want a cost-efficient way to back up my Hard-Drive. I don't care what it is (HardWare, software,etc) but it needs to be less than $75 Canadian (YES it is CAD only). Any ideas?

get a cheap cd burner from newegg.com and buy some CD-RW's. That will give you a nice backup solution for around $75 canadian.

I've got 28 RWs and a burner already...any good free compression software out there? I'm hopin to keep a few disks for Fedora Core.

I know when I tried to ghost my HDD, it was going to take 9 CD's. So I don't think you will have a problem with it.

I use a combination of three strategies:

1)Burn media files like movies and music to DVDs.

2)RAID 1 your data drive.

3)Use drive image to backup your OS installations.

You should be thinking about having a disk partitioning scheme that supports this. A "Data drive" which is RAID 1, a "getting written to DVD" drive, and a FAT32 drive to write your OS images to.

Think sensibly and realistically about what you use your machine for and design its partitioning scheme around that, because it will be easier to backup if you do so.

BTW, this is for my laptop, so I'm stuck with the Hardware I have, unless it's a USB drive or something. The only reason I want to back up to removable media is because I had a bad experience partitioning with Partition magic (I lost all my data!). I'm gonna get Ghost (hopefuly tonight) and back up to CD-RW.

Yeah use Ghost or drive image to make backups of your OS installs and just burn regular files to DVD or CD. You may be able to get a DVD writer for your laptop to replace the CD-RW.

For a little more money get a external USB hdd case stick in a 40-60 gig . Then use Dive image to place and easily retrive backups.without all that disk switching.Works for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back