Inactive Anyone aware of a trojan posing as AVG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently had two friends complain that an "AVG pop up is attempting to scan [their] computer." The problem is, neither of them have AVG installed. One friend has Avast, which is not finding anything other than adware. I also had her run Superantispyware, which also only finds adware.

I have searched online forums for any info on this, but can't really find anything. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or know if there is a new/advanced trojan that is masking as AVG? If so, what is a good program to clean it? My next move was going to be spybot, but I thought I would look for a specific cure before we start downloading more scanners.

Thanks.

I'm not aware of one. But anyone who has fake antivirus popups most likely has Trojan.FakeAlert on their systems and should follow this:

If you would like us to check the system for malware, please follow the steps in the Preliminary Virus and Malware Removal thread HERE.

When you have finished, leave the logs for review in your next reply .
NOTE: Logs must be pasted in the replies. Attached logs will not be reviewed.

Please do not use any other cleaning programs or scans while I'm helping you, unless I direct you to. Do not use a Registry cleaner or make any changes in the Registry.

Bobbye,
thanks for the reply, however the system in question is not my system and I do not have access to it. It belongs to a friend in another state. She asked me for my help online, and the scans that I directed her to complete did not find anything malicious. I'm not convinced that her computer is not infected. As you stated above, I believe there is, in fact a trojan on her computer. I am looking for a program she can download and attempt to clean the problem herself.
Thanks again.

Why don't you introduce her to this site and have her register? Then we can help directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back