Anyone got HL2 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazon_sephy

If you have got it already, what do ya think of it? I read the review over at gamespot, and they said the only bad thing about it was the story, in which a lot of questions still remained. This obviously hints at HL3 to perhaps conclude the story...

Home with a sick child today (let my wife go shopping), loaded the final Steam load of the game and all I can say is HOLY $HIT! This thing is really, really kewl! I'm normally a multi-player person, but the single player has me sucked right in. Whew!

It is lying here right beside me (bought it retail as I dislike (read hate) steam), along with a new soundcard and 5.1 speaker set, but haven't gotten around to try it yet (have to finish writing a program, and I'm stuck :eek:)...

But from what I've read across different boards, seems like most people like it.. Though there are certain areas that people complain about (the airboat level being too long and the player having no hands, legs & such), but it would seem that many people have gotten so caught up with the hype that they were expecting the moon...
(A bit afraid that I'm caught up by it too!, but hopefully not too much)

I got it early this morning and haven't had much time to play it yet, got to go to work. But, the only really bad thing I can say right now is the very, very long time to get this game going in the first place. Five cd's, that's ok, but then it takes forever to sign up on Steam, enter your cd key, and then to unlock the game so you can play. It may just be that so many people are signing up at the same time.

Oh, and all my complaining to myself about the long load times for Far Cry, I will now forget about. I think I'd rather have one long load, that to have to wait and load a level every five minutes. It kind of breaks up the flow of the game, but then again, I can live with that, they aren't to long of a wait.

The graphics look really good so far, but I haven't really gotten into much of the game yet. I am able to play it with the settings on high and get decent frame rates, with AAx4 and AFx 8.

And the girl Alex, not to much to say here, except WOW.

How's the saving system? I read that it uses a checkpoint save system, though i think it mentioned that you could quick save. I really hope you can use quick save on this game.

i got it and it pwns

i got it this morning @ 3 am and it was worth the wait, if only i could figure out my grafix card problem tho so that i can play it without n e problems :( but thats for another section

I have been playing it for about 2 hours now, it just blew me away. This is really cool!

amazon - yes, there is a quick save. In game, just press F6 and it automatically creates a save point (I use this constantly).

So exciting :D

What system specs does everyone have? Im going to be really pissed if HL2 turns out like Doom 3 where I have to turn down all the settings to get good frame rates. I ordered the limited edition. Should be here tomorrow.

vegasgmc said:
What system specs does everyone have? Im going to be really pissed if HL2 turns out like Doom 3 where I have to turn down all the settings to get good frame rates. I ordered the limited edition. Should be here tomorrow.

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with a GB of Ram and ATI Radeon 9800XT. System specs should be in all our profiles.

vegasgmc,

You really had to turn down the graphics in Doom 3 with a system like that?? Jeez, i only got a p4 2.0ghz, 512mb ddr, and a geforce 3 ti200 (128mb) and had the settings pretty high and it was playable... Btw, playable for that game was about 20fps. What do you consider playable?

With these settings I get 40fps
High Quality
1152x864
specular and shadows and AA off
Everything else on.
Thats the highest settings I can get without dropped frames.

Whoa, wait you turned off shadows?!?! That was the whole point of the game. Those settings arent really turned down that much. Id even said that ultra quality was really for 512mb cards... and thats a weird resolution your using there, usually its 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024... If you check anandtech.com they have a nice review of dx9 cards for the retail version of hl2. Looks to be slightly easier on pc's, and then theres the fact that ati has the advantage in this game unlike doom 3.

Specs:
A64 3000+
MSI Neo Plat
1GB of PC2700
empty partition defragged after install
Sapphire X800pro

Settings:
Everything on high with 4xAA and 8xAF at 1280*1024

From the video stresstest in CS:S I get 95.5 fps,and it runs like a charm.
I can't be bothered to do an ingame check as I'll then be much to focused on fps compared to the rest of the game. Maybe when I've completed it...

ok im stuck in the stupidest place...im at the spot where you just get the buggy and the magnet drops you upside down. once you get outta the buggy all there sandlions come after you and the girl says "get that car up right and get the hell outta here!" the stupid thing is no matter how hard i try, i can not figure out how to get the damn thing on its wheels. i have been trying to figure it out for so mong now and its just not working. the really annoying part it the girl repeats that sentance like ever 15 seconds and i almost want to scream at the stupid thing. can anyone tell he how to turn the car over so i can trive it away and continue the game?

gawd! i finally got it, ok for those of you that ever get stuck there, all you have to do is shoot you primary fire with the gravity gun at the buggy and it will go flying onto its wheels. that simple...

Ok, please dont as questions about how to do something in this game on this topic. I dont want anything spoiled for me,(im sure others feel the same way) and that is what your doing. The topic is "any one got hl2 yet" not "any one need help with hl2?"

steam_load.png

Just a little while to go... :stickout:

Installed it last night. Installing Windows takes less time! It looks great but my computer keeps locking up. It started doing it the exact same way in the Painkiller 3 demo too. Hopefully its just an issue with Catalyst 4.11 drivers.
I got the special DVD edition which was a total rip off. They made it sound like it came with a Prima Strategy Guide but it was just a crappy booklet. I went ahead and installed Half Life Source. At 1600x1200 it looks really good. I might play it again.

Arg, i knew it was gonna take a long time to install, being 5cd's.... Best to just get the files copied onto the hd, and do future installs directly like that.... Sry to hear you were suckered into the "collectors edidion".... It would have been better to get the silver steam package instead, only 60bucks...

Well, the standard edition (in Europe) include one whole glossy paper Quick Reference and no Manual, so I guess they decided to give everyone who bought it a let-down...

But that game is really good :)
I keep coming back to it to play just a bit further, even though I'm swamped with work.. Not many games have done that to me (in SP) lately...

I havent really "played" it yet. I spent 20 minutes just throwing things at the cops and scanners so they would chase me. I didnt read up too much on steam. I hate programs that you have to download. Its easier to deal with a physical disk especially when you re-install Windows as often as I do.

well, there was a nice guide on burning your "steam cache" of hl2 to a nice dvd somewhere, tho i cant remember where it was... that was what made it appealing. I hate the whole 5cd thing.... publishers give us just one dvd instead!!

Heh, sounds like VUG doesn't think enough people in the US has a DVD-rom to release a DVD version.
Quite the opposite of here in Europe where we can only get the DVD version...

I wonder what else might be different between Europe, Uk (yes, the regular European version says "Not for distribution in the UK") and the US, as they seem to each get their own version of HL2 retail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back