Anyone having luck with Vista??

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegasgmc

I just got my shiny new eVGA 8800GT and decided to install Vista to see how good DX 10 is. Vista seems alot more responsive than XP and I get 9300 in 3Dmark 06 but so far gaming has been a bust. While playing Bioshock my system system reboots and I get blue screens in Crysis. Im using the latest drivers and even tried the new beta driver from nVidia. I dont have any of these problems in XP Pro. These games do look alot better in DX 10 but its not worth the hassle.

Unfortunately Vista drivers are still a work in progress. In the particular case of graphics vendors, they have taken almost a full year to ship 3d drivers that are in the same quality level as XP (for a wide selection of titles). Right now I would say you should not be having too many problems if you use the latest drivers from either Nvidia or ATI although DX10 is still a bit slower than DX9.

My suggestion is you try the newer drivers and force DX9 if you come upon a glitch or performance issue. It's really not as bad as it seems...

I have no problems with Vista and my 8800GTS 320 in Crysis with DX10. I don't know what to tell you aside from crap you already know like make sure you have the latest drivers for chipsets and video card and check for any game patches.

I just figured out the problem. In my rig, Vista is completely intollerant of overclocking. Once I set the CPU and bus speeds back to normal, the gaming issues cleared up. Performance also took a nose dive. Ive also found out that Creative hasnt been able to come up with Audigy drivers that give their cards full functionality in Vista so Im stuck with 2 channel sound and no EAX controls or bass/treble adjustments. And Logitech isnt going to write Vista drivers for my MX700 mouse. I'm going back to XP.

Funny, my E6320 boots up to 3.59 GHz in Vista. Works fine until I do anything 3d :D

But it stays at 3GHz all the time, and I have no problems... must be some sort of hardware incompatibility issue.

My mobo has a 4 pin Molex connector just above the PCI-E slots I never paid much attention to. It turns out its to give more juice to the video cards. I hooked it up and I can OC in Vista now. Im suprised Vista needs so much more power, especially since Im using the Basic version without Aero Glass

vegasgmc said:
I just figured out the problem. In my rig, Vista is completely intollerant of overclocking. Once I set the CPU and bus speeds back to normal, the gaming issues cleared up. Performance also took a nose dive. Ive also found out that Creative hasnt been able to come up with Audigy drivers that give their cards full functionality in Vista so Im stuck with 2 channel sound and no EAX controls or bass/treble adjustments. And Logitech isnt going to write Vista drivers for my MX700 mouse. I'm going back to XP.

The MX700, if you tell Logitech that your mouse isn't charging right or something, they will send you a MX Revolution. I had a MX700 and it wasn't re charging right so they replaced it with a MX Revolution. Which has Vista compatible drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back