Anyone interested in the Sony Vaio CR series

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is best that you examine a Sony VAIO laptop in person, so you can look at the cooling fans and air channels. Thin and pretty means difficulty with heat.
We rank the Sony VAIO right up there with eMachines and Packard Bell... except the Sony's are prettier.
When new, they are very good. But when they fail (usually early, in our experience) Sony tech support is difficult, and parts are impossible to get. Screens fail quickly on the less expensive models. Sony laptos do not have adequate cooling, and fill up with dust and hair way too soon, requiring frequent cleaning.

Failure rates are as high as the Alienware, eMachines, Dell Inspiron Celeron, and Compaq.

One way to judge them, is to see how long of warranty is possible. If that model has a long warranty, it can be a better machine.

People usually love their laptops when new, but our clients don't love Sony Vaios when they have some miles on them.. Common failures are screen, inverter, or anything to do with cooling, and motherboard quits.

Take a look online at how difficult it is to find a source of Sony VAIO parts. They are available until the warranties expire, then nothing.

Consider a Lenovo Thinkpad T-60 oir T-61. Lowest failure rate in the industry... or a Dell Latitude (or equivalent), high end HP, or high end Gateway.

Other opinions will differ, but we support a lot of laptops for sales teams, real estate, banks, and corporations.

Have had a sony laptop myself

infact im on a sony desktop right now.

as raybay said, really the cooling isnt the best with the sony's, iv had to take mine apart and clean it regularly. the fans are small, but can be loud, when the cpu is placed under load.

go with the HP, not so much Dell, but really its user preference.

plus sony's come with a load of bullsh*t programs to start off, which you dont need, and really are taking up space on your Hdd.

my rating of sony now, 6/10

I would take the HP over the Sony ANY DAY! Even with a price differential, but it appears to have a smaller LCD screen than the Sony.

But I would extend the warranty to the full three years, because it is that third year that the troubles start.

I would pick this over the sony
many reasons include:
1. the actual brand itself
2. NVIDIA GeForce Go 8600
3. 250GB (with my sony i think i only got 100, or 80gb cant remember sorry)
4. 2048MB (mine only had 1g stick)
5. 802.11a/g/n, Bluetooth (mine didnt even have bluethooth)

in my opinion yea, it would be worth buying, i wouldnt mind it myself.
so if your feeling generous buy me and raybay one, nah im joking.

thing with processors, is that they are a highly competiable market, so this year the intel would have the advantage with dual core, and AMD next year, may have something more powerful.
so its a vicious circle really

Do you mean you love the Sony Vaio CR series, or do you mean you like this series about them with their incredibly high failure rate, and lack of parts?

hamas123 said:
I'm only 12 now but when i grow up im thinking of getting the blue one in the Sony Vaio CR series.

btw when do you mean is when you grown up? I mean this is maybe 4 years from now. who knows maybe coca cola bought sony until then... so for the moment their products might be good but what the future holds, nobody knows. I remember when I was at your age and thinking about what car I will have when I get my license. the day came and the car I wanted 5 years before was not even worth its metal anymore...

hamas123 said:
Generally, who's processors are better(faster), AMD's or Intel.

depends, the speed is relative. generally a 'faster' processor with the higher frequency is the faster one. at least it would be able to do more operations per second. different programs need different methods of operations and for that reason the faster processor is the one who supports this operations the best.
sorry, this is a very very simple explanation but you can dig into this far more deeper, too deep to fit in a post here.

I'd second the Lenovo T-60 suggested by raybay. It's a rugged laptop that lasts very long. A lot of my friends carry the IBM-branded version of the laptop and they still work fine after about 2 years with no problems at all. HP also has problems with their motherboards and batteries failing from what I've seen and Sony's VAIO series is as bad. I find Toshiba to be much more reliable here in the Middle East, but elsewhere their quality is right up there with eMachines and Packard Bell.

I too is set to buy a Sony VAIO laptop this April. A new CR35g model.

Does anybody already had experience with this exact model? I was wondering maybe
SOny has had great improvement in this CR Series, dont you think?

maybe im saying this coz yeah its really hard to resist a pretty laptop.
I look at it in person, it looks perfect. the keyboard is so perfect like of macs.

i dont hear any wines at all. im trying to make enquiries with the sony help via email, and i did forward this forum also,
and have ask them if they could defend their product? why should i choose vaio? sounds challenging for them..
but i havent got any asnwer yet as of now..

hope to hear more pros and cons about this product, if possible, be particular with CR-35G, here's the specs:
http://www.sony.com.ph/product/Comp...=hp_en_PH_i&models=VGN-CR35G&models=VGN-CR32G

btw, i was also thinking, why dont iIBM make such pretty laptop as VAIO. dont they want to combine beauty and power?
they already had the power and durability everyones looking for, but it seems they cant get out of that classic styles.
if they only have such thing as VAIO look, I would not have any second thought of buying a LENOVO laptop.
just my opinion anyway.

please somebody,, i wish to know more.. will appreciate a lot!=)

THANKS A MILLION! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back