Anyone Know Of A USB Flash Drive That Has Physical LOCK Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a brand/model of USB Flash Memory Drive that has a physical Read-Only Lock on it. This would allow me to lock it to Read-Only before plugging it into a virus-infected machine (the USB Drive would have anti-virus tools on it). I've seen SecureDigital drives with this feature but haven't found a USB version. Thanks in advance!

I think most USB flash drives have read-only switches on them. At least I haven't seen one without a write protection switch.

lydiate7 said:
I got a 128 for $10 at COMP USA the other day and that has a physical read wright switch.
Arrrgghhh!! That's great news and just what I've been looking for buuuttt.... I'm no closer to getting one 'cuz you didn't tell me the Brand/Model so I can buy one! LOL

Knowing they exist is good information but it's not ALL the information I was hoping to get from y'all. [grin] (Just messin' with ya a bit, all in fun.) Please reply and let me know the Brand/Model info. Thanks!

P.S. I went searching on CompUSA and found the following USB Drive:
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50347212&pfp=BROWSE
...is that the one you were referring to?

I'm shocked that I haven't been able to find one before when it seems like it's always been there (I've searched quite heavily in the past) -- maybe it's a new feature that are appearing on more drives nowadaze?

Nodsu said:
I think most USB flash drives have read-only switches on them. At least I haven't seen one without a write protection switch.
Granted, I haven't bought or shopped/priced them in about a year but when I WAS buying these devices, I had NEVER seen this feature (except for the afore-mentioned SD drive)! Maybe I'm just out-of-step with current tech.

Then again, I just went through PriceWatch's listings of the drive I found on CompUSA's website (listed above - ACP EPUSB/128/256-2.0) and none of those websites INCLUDING the manufacturer's (!!) mentioned this feature (even the PDF product brochure)!

If this feature is so prevalent, why isn't it mentioned as a selling point (unless it's been recently incorporated into the unit)?

Sigh, I just went through the Manufacturer's site AGAIN and realize that the model number I found on CompUSA's website isn't listed. It's called the "Mobile Mini Drive 2.0" and the closest product I can find on their website is a "Mobile Storage Drive 2.0" which looks exactly the same but apparently doesn't have this feature.

I've sent ACP's Tech Support dept an e-mail asking them what's up.

lydiate7 said:
not that one ... although I think that one has it too

I got this one ...
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=332150&pfp=cat3

pl
My friend! Thanks for posting that info -- I'm gonna go see if they have one that features 256MB as well as 128MB.

Come to find out, the unit I found on ChumpUSA's website does NOT feature a Write-Protect Switch. See the following replies from the ACP company:

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 10:09
Subject: RE: ACP EPUSB/128-2.0 Has A Write-Protect Switch ??

Beetle Bailey,

Our USB devices does not include a new write-protect switch, however there is password protection software available on our website to help secure your USB.

----- Original Message -----
Cc: 'Angela Rivera'
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2006 10:37
Subject: RE: ACP EPUSB/128-2.0 Has A Write-Protect Switch ??

Hello Beetle,

Currently, our drives do not have a Write Protect Switch feature. We are in the process of removing this information from CompUSA and other Partner sites.

We do have a new Mobile Vault drive that will allow you to Software Encrypt the contents of the drive. This Data Protection will prevent unwanted views of your important data stored on the USB Device.

Best regards,
Patrick Beard
Phone: 877-292-1701
Fax: 949.861.2813
Web: www.acp-ep.com
So the search goes on. A side note to nodsu: if you know of any other brand/models that have this feature, pray tell. However, through my research I'm beginning to think you wrote before you leapt. :)

I wish very hard for your sake that wishing very hard for my sake would make wishes come true. Word.

Lexar jumpdrive has a lock switch (but you need a paperclip to get to it.. very small) exept the one I have is 128mb (the purple one.. see the pic vvv)

don't know if you can get them in the USA...

go take a walk to one of the shops.. thats your best way to find out if it has a switch or not, as some online sites wont bother with that detail since the big 'encrypt and compress' era set in..

Attachments

• lexar_usb.jpg
    lexar_usb.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 9
  • lexar_side_switch.jpg
    lexar_side_switch.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 8
N3051M said:
...SNIP...as some online sites wont bother with that detail since the big 'encrypt and compress' era set in..
I read your angst and agree. I am NOT a fan of the 'encrypt and compress' feature. There seems to be issues with NTFS and permissions, etc... with the encryption process. I don't have personal experience but I've read a lot of user's reviews and they're not especially happy with the way it's done (and the software can often be cheezy).

Peeeeeps, I think I've found the end-all, best-of-the-bunch USB Flash Drive:

PQI Cool Drive Pro 2GB USB 2.0 170X

...it's only $12 more than the 1GB version but best of all, it's very high-speed. It's one thing to have 1 or 2GB of room but it's quite another to have to wait 30 minutes or so to transfer that much data. The 170 X transfer rate GREATLY speeds up read/write time (of course, the write time is a bit slower than the read time but it's ALL much faster than 'regular' USB Drives). Plus it has the highly-desired-by-me Write-Protect Switch.

I'm a PQI fan as I've used the Intelligent drive for several years and found it to be VERY much slimmer (and faster) than other USB Drives -- and I didn't even have the Pro model (which is even faster).

I am now about to search in this board for a thread to help me configure this drive to be bootable/NTFS-readable (it'd be nice if I can dual-boot it into either DOS/Win98 and NT) so I can make it into the end-all virus-fighter solution. (If any of y'all know a good thread that covers this topic, please clue me in -- I might miss it.) :)

Thanks in advance and I'll reply to myself (again) and point y'all to it if/when I find some good info on configuring bootable flash drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back