Anyone know Voltages and what they mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having trouble with my graphics card, and I was thinking it was a power issue. So I installed Motherboard Monitor 5 and pulled up the voltages on my system. It reads:
+3.3 = 3.14
+5.0 = 4.18
+12.0 = 11.95
-12.0 = -9.43
-5.0 = -4.86

Now what exactly do these numbers mean? What concerns me is that I am not getting close enough to the voltages they should be, esp the -12 one. And these numbers are not stable. They fluctuate by +- 1.0 sometimes Of course, it might be reading the board wrong.

I am running a 300watt generic pw supply with 2 hard drives, a dvd,cd-rw, ide zip, floppy, Raden 9800 reg, nforce2 ultra mobo with Athlon 1.2, and 3 vantec stealth fans. Could it be that I dont have enough power? IS there a better way to tell than using MoBo monitor?

Steve
compnut5x

Don't worry about the -Vs, they're unused and will float around at whatever is the default unloaded value is for the design of the switcher. What does concern me, and should you, is your +5 is way out of tolerence. Anything below about 4.8 is a problem. The +3.3 is for your AGP and also provides power through a regulator circuit to your CPU, The +5 is for most of the ICs on your boards, the +12 is for your drive motors and fans. Now the readings aren't necessarily accurate, they are based on how software interprets your sensing chip. A good DMM will probably show them to be within specs.

Even if those readings arent totally accurate, a 300w generic Power Supply doesnt sound sufficient for that system, one of these days you'll hear a loud pop and the smell of burning electronics, because one of the capacitors in your Power Supply blew up(Happened to me). I recommend you spend $73 and get one of these http://www.amastore.com/an45atposu.html It's the Antec 450w Power Supply, very reliable, nice price!..... Just my input....

Hmm. thanks guys. The information is useful. I think a new power supply would definitely be a good idea. Dont think I am going to go generic. Prolly a silent enermax or something similar. I appreciate your time.

power supply

get the best one you can afford and don't look back.
500 watt or better
Enermax is my favorite,
Vantec 520watt stealth a very good buy, triple fans,power outlet on rear that shuts down whatever is plugged into it at shut down is nice.
Enermax 550 watt has more than enough power to spare.
3.3v,5v,12v all at 36 amps each.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back