Anyone using Win 10 yet?

vegasgmc

I'm really liking it but ran into a problem. Installation went great and it installed everything including my 5 year old Rocketfish sound card and my wireless printer. Its closer to 7 than 8. I installed steam and played games with no problems. Then this morning when I booted up I got 7 pop ups ans adware - the usual, video player is out of date, we need to optimize your system and my browser had been hijacked by something called Astromenda. These are the things that would happen when I left a Win2000 machine connected to the internet while installing the OS. I couldn't tell if 10 has a firewall but my router does.

I installed it a few days ago, really liking it in my limited usage so far. Then again, I liked 8 but couldn't run it (see the sticky on Win 8 in this forum for why).

Haven't had any malware issues with it.

One of the problems I do have is it is not picking up a HDI have in an external dock. The dock has eSATA as well as USB 3. I originally had it hooked up as eSATA, and my eSATA back plate just runs to my motherboards SATA connections. When it wasn't working, I unplugged that and ran it as USB 3. The computer picked it up as USB3 but I got a device has malfunctioned message. Just to be sure I didn't coincidentally have a dead HD or dock I connected it to my laptop where it was picked up just fine. I did not reboot the computer, so I'll try that - otherwise I may have another dock I an try...

I have a dual boot Windows 7 and Windows 10 on my computer. Windows 10 saw my wireless printer and installed the motherboards drivers automatically. No issues yet...

Yeah! its a great OS but microsoft is using keyloggers to study your every move to improve it , so be warned!!!

@Blaze049 - You are going to need to back a statement like that up with some proof. I'm sure they are gathering usage data, but that is a far cry from a 'keylogger'.

Ok, well that is certainly a bigger 'violation of privacy' than most that installed, including me, expected. However, it isn't as bad as Blaze implied. It isn't capturing EVERY keystroke like is generally thought of when reading the word 'keylogger'. Doesn't appear that it is capturing what I'm typing in here, only if I open a document. Even that article has a click-baity sounding title, and then reading the article contradicts it.

I've been using WIndows 10 in a virtual machine since it's been released. Keep in mind this is a TECHNICAL PREVIEW that is not intended for production quality work. It's not unusual for Microsoft to monitor usage and prompt you for feedback on it's design and functionality.

I've been asked a few times by the OS about how I liked using the new menu or how was the ribbon bar, etc. It's a TECHNICAL PREVIEW, or in gaming terms, it's an alpha/beta and you expect these kinds of things when the company has specifically released the product for feedback. This is pretty common with all their technical previews.

With all that said, It's a significant improvement over Windows 8 and gives justification for completely skipping 8 and going directly from 7 to 10.

Well basically an entire keylogger is not what I meant I meant to say that they track which program features you use more and what the responses of OS are to various inputs from the user ,why would you guys think that they offer a win 10 before Win 9's release, whether you believe it or not there is a catch!!!

Right, and I don't think anyone here that is using 10 is using it thinking its completely 'free' it was made well known by Microsoft that this is a technical preview and that they want you to be comfortable with submitting feedback, and that it is not intended for you to use as your primary OS or on your only system.

why would you guys think that they offer a win 10 before Win 9's release, whether you believe it or not there is a catch!!!

There isn't going to be a windows 9. Speculation is that it would be a nightmare for legacy applications that are improperly checking the OS Version. Having it called "Windows 9" could trigger false positives making software think it's Windows 95 or WIndows 98.

Real Examples that would cause a failure with Windows 9
https://searchcode.com/?q=if(version,startswith("windows+9")

Yes, But removing it would defeat it purpose. It not their to track you per say. It is their as John Bell has stated. To monitor usage and present feedback. This would be what I have gather from reading up on win 10.

Gotcha thanks for pointing it out!!!;)
But still there is spying present in the technical preview!

There is in every technical preview, that's the entire point of the technical preview. They want to see how users interact with the system and determine if it's up to speed.

You have to realize this is NOT a release and NOT intended for anyone to use beyond testing. You seem hellbent on making this out to be some ridiculous scandal when it couldn't be the furthest thing from it. This is a monitored beta test. It's pretty standard for software development.

Ever beta test a game? Maybe some software? Yup.... they're monitored as well. Hell even this website is monitoring your actions on it. There's a term called "Split A/B Testing" that explicitly relies on monitoring usage habits to determine what interface works best.

At this point you may as well be arguing that the sky is blue and that's bad!

There is in every technical preview, that's the entire point of the technical preview. They want to see how users interact with the system and determine if it's up to speed.
Kinda defeats the purpose, if there is little choice as to how the PC is used. If I had a choice, I would keep the metro squares in the start menu but turn off the color-codes. I don't have my room painted up as a nursery! I wonder how MS is getting feedback on how well excepted the wild colors are. I will tell MS in a heartbeat, I don't want them.

Kinda defeats the purpose, if there is little choice as to how the PC is used. If I had a choice, I would keep the metro squares in the start menu but turn off the color-codes. I don't have my room painted up as a nursery! I wonder how MS is getting feedback on how well excepted the wild colors are. I will tell MS in a heartbeat, I don't want them.
Well cliff, it actually asks you how you like or dislike certain things periodically during your usage. I haven't had it ask me if I like the colors, but I have had it ask me if I like the Settings app or whatever it is.

You have to realize this is NOT a release and NOT intended for anyone to use beyond testing. You seem hellbent on making this out to be some ridiculous scandal when it couldn't be the furthest thing from it. This is a monitored beta test. It's pretty standard for software development.

Ever beta test a game? Maybe some software? Yup.... they're monitored as well. Hell even this website is monitoring your actions on it. There's a term called "Split A/B Testing" that explicitly relies on monitoring usage habits to determine what interface works best.

At this point you may as well be arguing that the sky is blue and that's bad!
No actually I am just saying that they want to use the technical preview to find out their customer's interests that's it!!!

Back