Anyone with knowledge of Apple hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJtheIrishLass

Hi all,
How upgradeable is a Mac Performa 631CD? If I remember right, it was the PowerPC series that was designed to be upgraded easily, not the Performas. I cringed when I used Crucial's memory advisor and found that the RAM was only upgradeable to 36MB. (Obviously, that wouldn't run most programs these days!) Would a newer system board & processor be worth the while, or should I just consider a newer Mac? (I'm currently using a leased Windows machine but feel more comfortable with a Mac <g>) Thanks!

WOW thats an old sytem, Think of buying yourself a new one, Dell Sells pc for really cheap and there really good systems and always upgradable. I think there currently cheapest pc out is 350$ Thats a good deal, go check it out :approve:

Don't buy a Dell.. If you can't afford brand new Intel Mac, look for the PowerPC models, used perhaps.

Anything made in this century should be 10x faster than your antique :)

whats wrong with dell??? I have couple people on techspot to get me one of those, maybe im wrong. Please tell me so i can learn :bounce:

only that Dell uses proprietary hardware and that upgrading forces you do use Dell products which are overinflated in price.

If you can upgrade that POS Dell at all!
NO serial ports
NO parallel ports
ONLY USB ports
lately with ONLY BTX-form-factor which is crap
Hardly any PCI slots
minimal hardware expandability
as said, blown-up prices for extras.
They use the most expensive memory DDR2
need I go on?
Dell over my dead body!

akaivan said:
Dell Sells pc for really cheap and there really good systems and always upgradable
lol, lol, and more lol!!!!

1. dells are obnoxiously overpriced for what they offer

2. dells use non-standard parts, not even close to top notch

3. dells are pretty much "non-upgradeable", even with dell branded components. just search through these forums and others to see about all the upgrading nightmares that people have been having with dell machines, especially when it comes to graphics updates

...back to the performa, it seems so funny to think about it now, but look at the model number of that Mac 631CD... it has the letters CD in the model number!! haha, back then a CD-rom drive was a high tech feature which they proudly sported right in the name.. lol :) :haha:

akaivan said:
WOW thats an old sytem, Think of buying yourself a new one, Dell Sells pc for really cheap and there really good systems and always upgradable. I think there currently cheapest pc out is 350$ Thats a good deal, go check it out :approve:
Thanks, but I'm one of those stubborn Apple people. :) I've gone through too much with my Windows machines to consider another one. My last computer (LG) was purchased for around $350 and did a great job (until a family member started messing up the system board and "killed" it :mad: )

AJtheIrishLass said:
Thanks, but I'm one of those stubborn Apple people. :) I've gone through too much with my Windows machines to consider another one
since you still use an 11 year old appple (and somehow still find it useful..lol :)), I assume that the last PC you had ran on windows 3.1 (or maybe 95). you cannot use an ancient system like that to judge current windows systems.

I used to have a performa like that (don't remember what model or Mac o/s version), it was a great machine in it's day. My mother had bought an Imac (one of the weird looking ones with the CPU/etc inside the monitor casing)... she had so many problems with that thing, it crashed more than any windows system I have ever used, I convinced her to go PC and she never looked back (I myself went PC after the performa got too old to be usefull). I understand that today's Mac OS versions are very stable and reliable operating systems, but I have no personal experience with any modern mac machines.

in my opinion, MACs just cost way too much for what you get out of it. Like RealBlackStuff said earlier, PCs can do anything a MAC can (sometimes better). Although WindowsXP is far from flawless, I have been pretty satisfied with it's stabilty compared to older windows versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back