AOL, a hackers' paradise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Wired is running a story on how AOL members' information and their services have been severely exposed to hackers. Even when many security precautions have been taken, hackers still seem to be able to 'Run Wild and Free on AOL'.

The most recent exploit, launched last week, gave a hacker full access to Merlin, AOL's latest customer database application. As a security measure, Merlin runs only on AOL's internal network, but savvy hackers have found a way to break in.

The Register has a story here.

Social engineering tactics were used in addition to technical ones.

Some of the stories probably have to be taken with a pinch of salt.

You're probably right, now I question myself... is people really all that bored with nothing to do in their hands to be doing multiple things just to get in AOL's system?

Originally posted by TS | Julio
You're probably right, now I question myself... is people really all that bored with nothing to do in their hands to be doing multiple things just to get in AOL's system?

U bet. I am sure they would go to great length just to be able to say they have done it, or try it. Quite a few of the hackers out there have nothing better to do than play games with people, just so they can get access to their stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back