AOL dropping M$ Explorer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGaribaldi

Sources inside AOL and Red Hat say AOL is making a major internal switch to Linux, and the long-rumored AOL default browser switch from Microsoft's Internet Explorer to Mozilla -- or at least Mozilla's Gecko rendering engine -- is well under way, but AOL will probably not offer an AOL client for Linux in the forseeable future.

A rumour so far, but so is parhelia...

More here

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some news regarding this a while ago saying that AOL was thinking (or maybe dropped) IE for Mozilla/Netscape 6? I remember reading some articles about this.

Originally posted by lokem
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some news regarding this a while ago saying that AOL was thinking (or maybe dropped) IE for Mozilla/Netscape 6? I remember reading some articles about this.

IIRC it was speculation about what AOL would do, as the relationsship with M$ was starting to go down the drain... But I can' remember anything as specific as this on the net...

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

IIRC it was speculation about what AOL would do, as the relationsship with M$ was starting to go down the drain... But I can' remember anything as specific as this on the net...

Ah yes. That was when their relationship turned sour for some reason. But this time, instead of just chaging the browser, they'll be changing the platform as well.. OUCH!

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
AOL would do, as the relationsship with M$ was starting to go down the drain...
Actually AOL has a licensing agreement w/ M$ which is due to expire. The AOL brower is IE w/ a diffrent face. AOL also own Netscape. So your guess is as good as mine. Personally I detest the AOL browser w/ it's pop-up ads. ugh..... :puke:

Originally posted by uncleel
Personally I detest the AOL browser w/ it's pop-up ads. ugh..... :puke:

That's the main reason why NOT to use AOL's browser! I'm sure AOL users know that they can get other browsers for free right? Or are they browser locked?

So easy a kid can use

So easy a kid can use; easy to navigate!
& that's the hole idea. Keep you in the AOL realm w/ butons & keywords (ads notwithstanding) rather than let you explore the WWW.
AOL 7 is AOL 6 w/ more ads!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back