AOL dropping M$ Explorer...

By MrGaribaldi
Mar 11, 2002
  1. A rumour so far, but so is parhelia...

More here
  2. lokem

lokem TS Rookie Posts: 672

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there some news regarding this a while ago saying that AOL was thinking (or maybe dropped) IE for Mozilla/Netscape 6? I remember reading some articles about this.
  3. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Topic Starter Posts: 2,512

IIRC it was speculation about what AOL would do, as the relationsship with M$ was starting to go down the drain... But I can' remember anything as specific as this on the net...
  4. lokem

Ah yes. That was when their relationship turned sour for some reason. But this time, instead of just chaging the browser, they'll be changing the platform as well.. OUCH!
  5. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 980

Actually AOL has a licensing agreement w/ M$ which is due to expire. The AOL brower is IE w/ a diffrent face. AOL also own Netscape. So your guess is as good as mine. Personally I detest the AOL browser w/ it's pop-up ads. ugh..... :puke:
  6. lokem

That's the main reason why NOT to use AOL's browser! I'm sure AOL users know that they can get other browsers for free right? Or are they browser locked?
  7. uncleel

uncleel TS Rookie Posts: 980

So easy a kid can use

So easy a kid can use; easy to navigate!
    & that's the hole idea. Keep you in the AOL realm w/ butons & keywords (ads notwithstanding) rather than let you explore the WWW.
    AOL 7 is AOL 6 w/ more ads!!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.