Apparent search bug in XP SP2

By BrikFace
Jul 28, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiyas. It looks to me like I've found a very crude bug in XP SP2. When doing a search in Windows Explorer, if you type the entire filename in the input field labeled "All or part of the file name:", the search will not report the existing file of that name :knock: .

This seems to be true only if the filename contains the standard period followed by the standard 3 character filename extension. If you search, for example, from the root of C: for the file "ntldr", its existence will be reported as expected. But if you search for "boot.ini" you'll get no hits.

Can somebody please reproduce this? I've tried it on 3 PCs in my home network and all had the apparent bug. But maybe there's something whacked about the way I configure machines, so I'd like to hear from somebody out there.

Thx,
    BrikFace
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

No bug there.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how here.

You will now find them all.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.