TechSpot

Apple announces OS X Beta Seed Program, opens beta testing to everyone

1. Apple on Tuesday opened up OS X beta versions to the public in general. The Cupertino-based company announced the OS X Beta Seed Program, which allows anyone with an active Apple ID to download and install a beta version of OS...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,174   +761

Yeah? I wonder how many people who download it just out of curiosity will breach Apples NDA... probably 99.9%.

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,018   +912

Yeah I really dont understand how they can enforce that NDA after opening it up to the public.

I would download it but this is my main computer and I dont want to run beta software on it :(.

4. Opens up Beta testing for everyone...

...tells them they can't disclose information about it.

/fail

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

I don't think they intend to try to enforce it. I'm sure if some blogger is drawing unwanted attention to some features/bugs and generating a lot of traffic out of it then Apple may send a C&D. For the common person, word of mouth type stuff I'm sure Apple isn't going to attempt to police that, and I'm sure they knew this before making it public. This just gives Apple the option if someone gets out of hand.

There aren't a whole lot of OS X users anyway, and even fewer that are going to sign up for this. Plus this seems to be for 'beta' releases, there are still other releases that are more exclusive (not public) that is where the real NDA and enforcement is.

6. I waited to install 10.9 until most of the bugs seemed resolved. I'm surely not going to install a beta version. Updating already takes some time, but reverting is of course even worse. Still, there can be a few sysadmins and similar people that can muck about it with it.

7. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

I began the install last night just before I went to bed. Will try it this evening and see how it goes. Made a full time machine backup of my system before enrolling in the program, so if all goes to hell I'm not out anything but restoration time.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.