Apple announces three million iPads sold in three days

Jos

Staff

Apple has announced it sold more than three million iPads over the past three days, marking a very successful debut weekend for the new iPad mini and fourth generation iPad. The company noted this is double the previous first weekend milestone of 1.5 million WiFi-only models sold for the third-generation iPad back in March -- though factoring in the cellular equipped versions that number grew to 3 million as well.

According to Apple’s press release, the Wi-Fi + Cellular versions of both iPad mini and fourth generation iPad will ship in a few weeks in the US and in “many more countries” later this year.

Unfortunately, the Cupertino-based firm did not share a breakdown of the sales numbers between the mini and full-size iPads. But  the wording of the announcement suggests that consumers favored the iPad mini this past weekend. Apple CEO Tim Cook said the company is “practically sold out of iPad minis,” and he noted they are “working hard to build more quickly to meet the incredible demand.”

The iPad mini was announced on October 23rd with pre-orders going live on the 26th and shipments starting November 2nd. The device maintains the same 1,024 x 768 resolution found on the iPad 2, but the smaller screen translates to a higher pixel density. It also packs the same dual-core A5 processor, improved front- and rear-facing cameras, and is the most portable at 0.28 inches thick and weighing 0.68 pounds.

Available in black and white, pricing starts at $329 for a 16GB Wi-Fi only model, $429 for a 32Gb model or $519 for 64GB of storage. Models with LTE connectivity cost an extra $130 for each tier.

Permalink to story.

Just proves the statement: "There's a sucker born every minute"!

Funny stories from NY about the ipads... There's still no electricity many places, lines for gasoline are hours long, but it doesn't stop people from lining up for Apple's latest. Although to be fair... with the power out, there's not much else to do.

How much longer will people put up with Apple's $100 for 16GB of storage rates? Will they ever include a card slot or come down in price?

Thought the ibabies who cry about "everything" apple would have died down by now. The hate is stronger than I thought with the young adults who live in their moms basement.

And I just read that the stocks went up 15 percent for Apple. What the hell is going on here?

And I just read that the stocks dropped 15 percent for Apple. What the hell is going on here?

Most reports have the consumer excitement level for the Mini at "lukewarm" or slightly better. The fact that Apple has to roll all iPad sales together into one vague sales figure just to try to bolster confidence is an indicator that there's a little trouble in paradise.

To be honest, the iPad Mini is a slick little piece of hardware, and it fits into a size category that a large hunk of the consumer marketplace seems to like. But, with Jobs blocking the Mini from being produced, then the mad scramble to launch this late in the game, it's not surprising that the Mini is producing lackluster sales. If the marketing geniuses at Apple had been able to wait a few months to launch the new iPad and Mini together, there may have been much more fanfare and success. But, instead they pushed the "new iPad" out to maximize that revenue stream, saturated their own market... And then they drop the (fairly pricey) Mini along with a 4th gen iPad just 7 months later, further cannibalizing their own customer base... Apparently, a weak economy doesn't exist in the imaginary world of Magic Apple Fairy Land that their execs seem to live in?

And I just read that the stocks dropped 15 percent for Apple. What the hell is going on here?

The stock price didn't go down only because of the Mini. It went down after those two execs got canned. http://www.cultofmac.com/199092/apple-stock-price-drops-2-4-in-reaction-to-management-changes/

In addition... the price of the Mini was higher than expected. From Forbes.com "In particular, markets seem to be concerned about the price of the iPad Mini ? it will retail at $329, well above competing products." http://www.forbes.com/sites/panosmo...er-ipad-mini-unveiled-another-dangerous-sign/

However, the price went up $10 from Friday close to monday open, probably because of how well it's been selling. Price is at $583 now and I'd bet it'll be back to $600 at the end of the week.

The 'hate apple' zealots are sure a tired lot.

I'm usually impressed by Apple releases but the iPad Mini is underwhelming. Not even near Retina resolution and over-priced, under-powered compared to the competition.

Apple can do better.

You guys really complaining about the price? Android plus two weeks of gas money or an Apple mini, the price sucks but not a dealbreaker.

The 'hate apple' zealots are sure a tired lot.

I'm usually impressed by Apple releases but the iPad Mini is underwhelming. Not even near Retina resolution and over-priced, under-powered compared to the competition...

Then why does it sell so much?

Back