TechSpot

Apple backtracks on EPEAT, products re-added to registry

By Leeky
Jul 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has publicly u-turned its decision last week to remove its desktops and notebooks from the EPEAT registry following a public backlash from consumers, educational, state and government departments who were left unable to purchase...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,129   +731

Apple 'inexplicitly' withdrew their products from the registry? I figured it may have had something to do with EPEAT charging a lot of money to register your products. Here's a sheet on fees that EPEAT charges if you want to be in the registry. http://epeat.net/documents/subscriber-resources/epeat-sub-fee-sched.11-0127.pdf
    Looks like it would cost Apple about $115,000, which is peanuts. So who knows.... after searching a bit to find why they'd anger their customers over this I found nothing. So maybe it is for the registration cost.

3. Renrew

Renrew TS Enthusiast Posts: 240   +17

I doubt it was the registration cost.

The withdrawal of purchases from government entities I'm sure had quite a bit do do with their hasty return.

The bean counters lost this one.

4. It's been reported that they withdrew because a few of their devices will no longer get the highest ratings due to their construction/servicing/disposal complexity. So they re-joined and will no doubt re-define the rules instead.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.