TechSpot

Apple backtracks on EPEAT, products re-added to registry

By Leeky
Jul 16, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Apple has publicly u-turned its decision last week to remove its desktops and notebooks from the EPEAT registry following a public backlash from consumers, educational, state and government departments who were left unable to purchase...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,690   +1,068

Apple 'inexplicitly' withdrew their products from the registry? I figured it may have had something to do with EPEAT charging a lot of money to register your products. Here's a sheet on fees that EPEAT charges if you want to be in the registry. http://epeat.net/documents/subscriber-resources/epeat-sub-fee-sched.11-0127.pdf
    Looks like it would cost Apple about $115,000, which is peanuts. So who knows.... after searching a bit to find why they'd anger their customers over this I found nothing. So maybe it is for the registration cost.

3. Renrew

Renrew TS Enthusiast Posts: 253   +19

I doubt it was the registration cost.

The withdrawal of purchases from government entities I'm sure had quite a bit do do with their hasty return.

The bean counters lost this one.

4. It's been reported that they withdrew because a few of their devices will no longer get the highest ratings due to their construction/servicing/disposal complexity. So they re-joined and will no doubt re-define the rules instead.