Apple buys Beats for $3 billion, co-founders Jimmy Iovine and Dr. Dre to work under Eddy Cue

By Shawn Knight
May 28, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Following months of rumors and speculation, Apple has officially purchased Beats Electronics for $3 billion. The deal includes the company's headphones, speakers and audio software business as well as the recently-launched Beats Music subscription service according to a press release...

Read more
  2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

Unreal. This is proof of what marketing can do, because those headphones are absolute crap.
    FLWrd, wastedkill and H3llion like this.
  3. davislane1

davislane1 TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,194   +445

Actually, the clever marketing trick is the Beavis & Butthead promo in the header image that I just brought to everyone's attention. That's elite-level stuff right there. This Beats deal is just MKTG 101.
  4. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,434   +281

Marketing has some to do with it, but Apple is already pretty good at marketing. The headphones may suck, Apple already offers higher end earbuds so while this will perhaps give Apple some cans I don't think it is too important here because as you noted they aren't very good compared to others. If Apple wanted over the ear headphones they could have just bought someone else.

So it seems to me (and from other sources I've read) that Apple bought Beats more for their streaming services.
  5. Money to burn it seems. Just wow. Steve is rolling over in his grave.
  6. I think their financials are strong. It's not really throwing money away if they will make you money.
  7. Is that their new flagship model? If so, the price sounds about right.
  8. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 178   +25

Well...

Good luck Apple for buying a turd and polishing it so it could be a shiny turd.
  9. Doesn't spell much good for the future. I'm a long, long time Apple user: its software and hardware are good. Apple's advantage is not as big as it was, but OSX is still a very good environment. Since Apple got big selling phones, my fear has been that one day it would become lucrative to split Apple into a music/streaming company, a phone/tablet company, and a computer company. That would almost certainly be the end of OSX. With this acquisition, that day seems to have come a bit closer.
  10. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,831   +707

If you've just bough a set of Beats headphones before the deal went through congratulations, as from this moment forward all their prices have tripled.
  11. Apple worshipers don't mind paying triple the price. They understand that they are donating to a good cause.

From DW.UK

12. Dr Dre work? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah.........ahahahahahahahahaha...............hahahahahahah...and stop.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.